Don’t add anything advanced until you’ve mastered the step before it.
Examples:
Don’t use EQs until you learn volume faders
don’t use looping or hot cues until you can structure a set without them
don’t use effects until you can really spin without them
don’t spin with 4 channels until you’ve done 3
don’t spin with 3 channels until you know how to do 2.
don’t spin with 2 decks until you can do 1…by that, I mean if you can’t put together a good mix CD or playlist in iTunes (or whatever), you’re not ready to DJ.
Learning to mix is hard, before you give them all the tips for mixing, he should learn to be responsible and consistent, or else he will just give up. Try your hardest, do your best, and sooner or later, you will mix correctly. And after you have learned this, learn by ear. Hear the music, the beats, everything. Hear tutorials also they worked for me.
I’d say become a forum member either on this website or another digitaldjtips website. There is much you can learn from lurking, but even more so when you get specific and ask questions yourself. And most cats on here are great to share their opinions, reviews, or tips.
even though you are using a controller in the club: MAKE SURE TO BE ACCESIBLE AND PRESENT TO THE CROWD! be in the center of the stage and not in a corner starring at your laptop!
Keep your levels in the program and through the mixer out of the red. When I first started, I had the main in traktor at 100% and was adjusting my levels with the output on the audio 2 and everything sounded like crap until I realized, “hey there is a gain knob in the software that I never really noticed before.” Since then I’ve kept the volume knobs all the way up on the audio 2 and adjusted the gains via the software.
Practice. If you feel like you’re stuck in a place where you can’t progress, try something new, and then master that. There are always new things to learn.
I would probably say that to make sure they know that gear doesn’t make the DJ. I mean, doesnt matter how expensive and vast your dj gear may be, it won’t get you gigs or make you mix better. So no need to spend a ton of money, blindly, when you’re first getting into it.
Basically don’t get caught up in the gear hype. Start by using trial versions of Dj software untill you find the one you may like. I would also say, start by mixing w/ keyboard and mouse ( a lot of programs you can do this). After awhile you’ll be ready to choose a controller/soundcard, and you’ll know better then what fits your style. You may just find it’s not for you, but no biggie cause you won’t have much $ invested if any at all.
Accept the fact that not every transition or mix is going to go as planned. Your ability to recover from your mistakes and learn from them is what will make you a good DJ.
During my first gig the music cut 3 times…friend was downloading a request putting it on a USB and then I was playing in traktor. I thought that Traktor imported the song and unplugged the USB during the middle of the set. Needless to say, the music cut out…multiple times. Lesson learned haha.