Vestax VCI-300

OK, yeah sorry. Um, dunno? The rotary controllers could also be push-buttons, or maybe they chose a nearby key. I have no idea what the intended mapping is, all I know is that I’d probably remap much of it anyway.

As it’s supposed to be used with Itch, maybe watching some Itch video reviews might answer your question?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vci+300

question for ean,
did you get to “hands on” the vci-300? i’m just curious about the feel of the jog wheels versus the vci-100.

Well they should be pushies (hah new word?) since there are no nearby keys assigned for killing EQ. It would be very demanding to turn the EQ to the left everytime you wanna kill a band. A top view of the 300:

I will definitely remap it to traktor to use effects and stuff, for anything else like plain mixing I think that ITCH will be a really great app, they’ve really removed everything that can be managed from the controller and just kept the basic and most vital stuff. Me like :slight_smile:

Thanks man . It’s really funny how the NI guys @ the Remix Hotel in March looked at me like I had 4 heads when I asked them that .

I did- its nice. The combo works really well. Its hard to compare directly because the reason the vci-300 works well is because of the co-design of the software and hardware for a good jog wheel response.

Man, you ought to call those Vestax guys and tell them you need a test unit ASAP :slight_smile: Don’t forget to ask about release date too :wink:

I asked you Ean about effects on the -300 and you said that you would prolly remap it to traktor, but since there are no nobs and buttons for this, how can I use effects?

Would it be possible to use an external effect box?

does anyone know if you can even remap the vci-300? as far as i know its only a controller for the itch software, thus the lack of any extra buttons or knobs. theres nothing extra to control, just basic mixing software.

Yeah, since its a MIDI controller its remappable, this has been confirmed by Vestax. I really want effects! :roll_eyes:

Just to put this out there- we are going to be running a very special promo soon that might just possibly involve giving away a vci-300. :sunglasses:

OMG. Thats awesome. :eek:

Woot woot promos are allways fun !

A bit of new info regarding VCI-300/ITCH:

  • Serato says release June 2008 @ their site

  • Vestax has updated their site with hardware and ITCH software specs:

We’re getting closer and closer. :smiley:

Plus Serato/Vestax has a new screenshot of ITCH. (links above)

Obviously I know absolutely nothing about the functionality of Serato’s ITCH software…but to me the G.U.I. looks terrible.

It looks like the graphical lead on the project may have liked his glowing black Windows 98 theme a bit to much.

I’m all for simplicity, but that screenshot of ITCH makes it seem like a backward step compared to Traktor. What is the supposed benefits of ITCH? Has it got a more advanced BPM algorithm or something?

The reason they made ITCH was to remove everything that could be handled on the hardware unit from ITCH and just keep the basic most vital stuff. Like why have loop buttons in a software (traktor) when they’re already on the hardware. Serato’s idea was to make djs look more at the hardware and less at the software. ITCH carries everything vital that you need, the rest is gone :slight_smile:

But then again Traktor has a lot of effects so of course there are more buttons, ITCH carries no such features.

Thats the real purpose of ITCH, so I’ve been told atleast.

if I would like to Djing with Traktor, which one is better?? vci-100 or vci-300??:confused:

I believe the better choice would be the VCI-100, since the VCI-300 is pretty much tailored for use with Serato ITCH.

I m so confuse, cause I don’t know which one i should buy, Ean..what do u think??

I’d go with the VCI-100 easily based on price alone. I’m also sorta shocked that hardly anyone has been talking about the 300’s real advantage (IMO) - the 14-bit MIDI. Seriously, one of the biggest things holding me back is how poor the resolution is on any fader in regular MIDI. I mean usually it’s all good, but when you’re trying to beatmatch a track at 124.2 BPM, and your fader steps from 124.1 to 124.3 (yes, at 8%), you start to question your $400 investment.

Hopefully the 300 spurs a MIDI revolution, in the sense that we upgrade to something a little less archaic :wink: MIDI works, but it certainly has its limitations. Get to work, hackers!