What was the song that got you interested in EDM? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Deeply influenced my productions as well (just realized it, haven't listened to it in years )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3j6-VghnDo
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.

This one got me into Dubstep, along with Datsik - Firepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnoMQDvhTxk
    MacBook Pro, Traktor Kontrol S4, 2x Pioneer CDJ 850 K, 2x KRK Rokit 8, 2x Behringer B1520DSP

Soundcloud

For me it was the synth stuff from the 80's when midi, sequencing, and samplers were first being used. Yaz, Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo, even Devo. Hard to name one song when the synthesized sequencer based bands are what did it for me.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 11-11-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Mylo - Drop the Pressure

Hmm...interesting thread. Makes me think back hard.

I can't say any certain song got me going on EDM and I can't even say I am even a hard core EDM fan or listener. I think, because EDM is relatively easy to make, a lot of it is crap. How I've gotten here to even answer a thread like this, be interested in the DJ scene or in electronic dance music right now is a longer story with different facets and not just one song.

If you look at the words in EDM, Electronic - Dance - Music, I'd have to say the reasons for being involved in it now have to do with the first two words Electonic and Dance.

1. Electronic - here I am also with VanGogo. The synthpop days of the 80's with bands like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Spandau Balet and yes, even the Pet Shop Boys got me liking the fact that electronically made music can be very enjoyable too. Plus, I am a computer lover (freak isn't a word I like). To me the EDM of today actually started with the synthpop music back then.

2. Dance - I would say I am not the best dancer. But I know I have rhythm. Having rhythm as a kid, I really enjoyed Disco music of the late 70's and early 80's. Too many songs to note. Also I had a 6 week stint in England as a technician in the mid 90's and over the weekend at any town I was in, Portsmouth, Cleethorp, Chesterfield, I went to a night club in the area and enjoyed the dance music and got hooked on the EDM they were playing back then. This also revitalized my childhood dream of wanting to be a DJ, which I still am not. But, I am working on it slowly.

My taste in EDM is more towards house and electronic house with some hip-hop mixed in. Does all this sound crazy for a 46 year old?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Mentor

Justice's Cross the whole album... pretty much changed my life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_VgU2AhP8

Used to love me some happy hardcore. Had a friend who played a few sets on the di.fm hardcore channel and I would listen in. Good stuff.

Tech Convert

I'd have to say Oakenfold's Goa Mix. I had heard a few tracks from Bunkka on this online music thing called Launchcast so I started looking up some of his mixes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScrJMsYrhI0

It wasn't a certain song, but I started to get interested in music in general in the early to mid 90's. I grew up in Germany, so that means lots of Eurodance in the charts and on the radio. 2 Unlimited, Culture Beat, Captain Hollywood and stuff like that. And just a few years later it helped that also some club hits from that time where able to make it big in the German Top 100. Westbam, Sven Väth, RMB or AWeX where on pretty heavy rotation on the Music TV stations and you couldn't buy a Top 40 pop sampler without having at least five or six real techno tracks on it. (Not so much MTV, because I think we didn't get our own version of it until 98 or so, but VIVA, the first German music channel, played them a lot!)

And that's pretty much it. Eurodance was the gateway drug, the "raving society" of the time took me further and when the 90's came to an end, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers and Co refined my taste even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychofrakulator View Post
    Eurodance was the gateway drug
    +1, although it wasn't really a revelation, more of a smooth evolutive process:
    80's pop/synthpop/early dance from my brother's tapes
    >Confetti, M.A.R.S.S.,Trans-X...
    Eurodance from 89-to 96 with odd bits of good techno sprinkled in
    >key track : Snap! - Rhythm is a dancer
    Some big beat with The Prodigy/Fatboy Slim/Chemical Brothers and whatever good bits of filtered house came through the radio
    >Chemical Brothers-Hey Boy, Hey Girl
    >Stardust-Music Sounds Better With You
    >Bob Sinclar-Gym Tonic (oh.. more Bangalter... interesting).

etc..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast