I'm about to take the red pill and start a Eurorack modular setup, god help me.
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Arrow I'm about to take the red pill and start a Eurorack modular setup, god help me.

The decision has been made, I'm going to start off with a small 3u system and order as much as I can tomorrow so that I can still eat for the next week- which puts me at about a $1600 budget tops including shipping. Eventually I will expand to 6u and get another set of z-ears and put it in a $15 Ikea converted 6u rack space for a budget case.

Still debating what to order and how to get in budget, I'm just under $1800 now, $1500 would be ideal. Selling a pair of 1200s last night was what I needed.

All modules are multifunctional and it's pretty much frequency modulation and routing madness in a small package. Forget a traditional setup I'm going for more wild.

The expert sleepers module is an alternative to midi/cv and is supposedly much tighter, allows using the expert sleepers software for additional modulation in your DAW but mostly looking at it for better timing through digital connection (they make a bigger optical version instead of spdif but I don't have a card with optical out) since I don't really want to use the software at first but then it is tied to my daw.

I may just get a cheaper midi/cv interface so I can get in budget just not sure yet. Also looking for used modules but stuff on the muffwiggler forum flies. The good stuff gets snatched up in hours it's crazy.

I'm nuts for considering this, but it's what I've wanted for a long time and I can't wait to see what this does for my workflow and experimentation.

Also those fancy stackable patch cables are expensive, $100+ on cables.

one of the osc doing some FM

The PEG

I guess I'll keep this thread updated on my adventures.

I'm not a religious man, but for this I'll make an exception. I'll be praying for your soul tonight.

Have you checked out the Pittsburgh Foundation?

http://pittsburghmodular.com/foundation/

It's a Eurorack modular setup, more like a "starter" kit to get you heading in the right direction. When I decide to take the plunge (sooner than later hopefully) this is most likely where I'll be starting.

Something to keep to raise your interest

Good call on the MHI modules. Awesome quality stuff for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    I'm not a religious man, but for this I'll make an exception. I'll be praying for your soul tonight.

Have you checked out the Pittsburgh Foundation?

http://pittsburghmodular.com/foundation/

It's a Eurorack modular setup, more like a "starter" kit to get you heading in the right direction. When I decide to take the plunge (sooner than later hopefully) this is most likely where I'll be starting.
    Yeah- I'm leaning more towards building a mismatched modular setup since I want to do some weird stuff and have some unique modules up front which is why I'm leaning towards the PEG. The oscillators also act as LFOs, the filter is also a gate, the VCA also has a built in 2 channel mixer- the z3000 does crazy waveshaping and FM, and the PEG does a whole lot of weird stuff.

Of course I want a Makenoise Maths but they are sold out everywhere

I'm thinking about getting the pittburgh MIDI/CV interface since it is $140 and I don't really want to use silentway but I hear most midi/cv interfaces have bad timing.

edit: actually looks like the pittburgh midi is being replaced and I hear it is buggy

http://pittsburghmodular.com/
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-01-2012 at 07:49 AM.

damnit it the z3000 mk2 is now out of stock at analogue haven. modular world is already frustrating, hah.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-01-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Just ordered this:

I found a decent deal on two bubblesound triangular osc. and the nicer doepfer midi/cv module used from a guy on the forums.

Rest I got from analogue haven plus like 12 stackable cables and 10 regular cables and it came to $1550 shipped, so worked out perfect.

best of luck my friend! Looking forward to some analog techno goodness!

Just need to invest in some proper drum machines and you're golden!

^man I would love to. octatrack or machinedrum seems cool- I really want a linear 16 step sequencer on a drum machine but not for a while.

What do you know, I'm already learning there are probably more modules I will want relatively sooner.

I haven't decided whether I want to cram as much stuff as efficiently as possible into 3u and work within the confines of that happy ending kit tabletop or expand to another rack already. I figure it may be healthy to work with only 3u in those confines but a lot of the fun is filling up space.

I am going to need a more standard ADSR- then probably a dedicated more suitable LFO (the dixie is an lfo/VCO) and some attenuators. This would fill it perfectly plus add a buffered multi.

or I just get a cheap used doepfer ADSR and by the time I get an LFO just expand more

this is getting pricey

Tech Guru

If you can get your hands on a TB-303 I will drive to Florida and marry you just to mess with your gear.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast