Controversial Traktor Scratch hack featured on DJTT blog
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Controversial Traktor Scratch hack featured on DJTT blog

Today's blog post on the main DJTT page gives explicit, step by step instructions on how to "hack" non-Scratch-certified mixers/interfaces to work with DVS. This has been a controversial topic in these forums, and has resulted in lots of closed threads. Since DJTT is essentially endorsing this hack, can we at last have a real discussion here on the subject?

Edit: I own a DB2 AND An Audio 10, but I still use the hack sometimes for convenience so I don't have to bring/route the A10 at mobile gigs. I have legitimately purchased the "dongle" to unlock timecode, but the hack allows me to leave that dongle at home. I would gladly pay NI for this convenience, but there is no such option.
    Last edited by jdownesbaird; 03-07-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Tech Guru

Is there any difference in principle between the timecode hack, and say cracking the Demo to remove the 30 minute time limit, turning it into Traktor Pro for free?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

In my opinion, I think if you have a legit scratch license and a Traktor soundcard then is there really a problem?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

The article is aimed at people who don't have a Traktor sound card.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Is there any difference in principle between the timecode hack, and say cracking the Demo to remove the 30 minute time limit, turning it into Traktor Pro for free?
    No, there isn't really a difference. I feel justified in using the hack since I purchased the appropriate hardware, but I am still breaking the EULA.

I think many people feel justified in using this hack because there isn't a convenient way to purchase the functionality from NI without also complicating the routing of your setup. The registry hack proves that most audio cards are technically capable of running timecode, but they are intentionally crippled by NI. This is NI's right, and makes perfect business sense, and in no way justifies "stealing" from NI. BUT, I can understand how some users would feel frustrated (right or wrong) that there isn't a way to legitimately pay to unlock their existing sound card and avoid adding more gear.

Remember when Napster first came out? Many otherwise law-abiding people (who had never stolen anything in their lives) suddenly felt justified in pirating music, because there was no legitimate and legal manner in which to purchase mp3s with such ease and convenience. Again, I'm not justifying piracy, but the old business model no longer made sense to people. Record companies fought to keep CDs relevant and ignored the obvious demand for digital media, rather than embrace the new technology as a potential revenue stream. A third party (Apple) was able to recognize this demand, and cornered the market on digital sales.

We are talking about a much smaller demand here, but perhaps NI could reevaluate its willingness to unlock alternative audio interfaces for a fee.

I've been banned in the past for merely HINTING at this.

I am surprised (actually, gob-smacked) that DJTT has now given a step-by-step guide for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Possess
    Geez, all these comments coming to the defense of NI and bashing the writer and DJTT, it makes my head spin. Guys, Corporations are not your friends. They don’t need you coming to their aid.
    This guy has got it absolutely right.

And I must say - I would LOVE to give TSP a try with timecode vinyl and my (Firewire) Motu Ultralite interface.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    In my opinion, I think if you have a legit scratch license and a Traktor soundcard then is there really a problem?
    I get what you're saying, but think about the outside companies that probably paid to have their mixers scratch certified thinking that people would choose their equipment over a comparable mixer because of the ease of scratch certification

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I get what you're saying, but think about the outside companies that probably paid to have their mixers scratch certified thinking that people would choose their equipment over a comparable mixer because of the ease of scratch certification
    That's pretty irrelevant when you can buy a Traktor soundcard and use it with the mixer anyway. That way it'll also enable you to be able to take that with you when playing out rather than lugging the whole mixer with you.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    That's pretty irrelevant when you can buy a Traktor soundcard and use it with the mixer anyway. That way it'll also enable you to be able to take that with you when playing out rather than lugging the whole mixer with you.
    I think it's definitely relevant. That's their whole point, ease of use. They're probably banking on some people to choose their mixer over another because of it. Wether it's the extra set up time in the club or the hassle of setting up at home. It was a big selling point for me personally when I bought my 900

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I think it's definitely relevant. That's their whole point, ease of use. They're probably banking on some people to choose their mixer over another because of it. Wether it's the extra set up time in the club or the hassle of setting up at home. It was a big selling point for me personally when I bought my 900
    There's no denying it's handy, but in reality when you go to a club, swapping out the house mixer for your own isn't ideal. Your average DJ can't afford the modern (Non NI) scratch certified mixers unless picking them up second hand...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast