skrillex review
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: skrillex review

Default skrillex review

the last paragraph just about sums up my point of view. the rest is just an entertaining read.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=8266

All of this would be irrelevant if Skrillex weren't suddenly and formidably popular. In the first week of its release, all eight of the EP's tracks placed in the Beatport Top 10. This is a remarkable achievement for a relatively unknown name—the mau5-machine backing has its benefits—all the more so considering it comes from a nominally dubstep artist. If this means that the core Beatport user-base, as close to a mainstream as dance music gets, is going to finally acknowledge dubstep through an artist like Skrillex, I'm concerned. Its one-dimensional aggression and appeal to the lowest common denominator feels like the exact opposite of where the genre began; there's a difference between perversion and evolution. Dubstep is undergoing both processes at once, and the results couldn't be more far apart. I'm not surprised that this EP was number one on Beatport—it's fun and well-produced rave fare—but this music does a dangerous disservice if it's perceived as representative of "dubstep" to an audience that has never come upon it before.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

LOL @ the graphic!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

amazing picture ahaha

reminds me of that thread a while ago

girls who look like skrillex some funny ass pics on here

http://girlsthatlooklikeskrillex.tumblr.com/

Tech Wizard

DDDDDDDDD-DROP the bass.

+1 for brostep. Guilty pleasure I guess...? Can't argue with some of those drops.

"Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    Last edited by Illinoize; 06-25-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    S4 | TP2 | MBP | DN HP500 | LPD8/LPK25

Tech Convert

Yea the review isn't wrong per se, but I've always had a problem with music reviewers in general. I could write NOVELS about how boring loopy tech house is but RA lives on that shit and while I'm not much of a 'brostep' fan I can at least understand why it's popular.

Enough of this 'preserving the scene' and all this about it being perversion. ALL of EDM can be called musical perversion by classical musicians. It's all perspective, if you wanna jump around to some saw waves with distortion at a 140 shuffle beat, go nuts. Life's too short.

Although I kinda totally agree with this guys point, I don't loath this harsh commercial take on dubstep, but it is a bastardised version of somthin much more complex.

As a full time journo myself, the writing does seem a little over cooked - "bathos" I mean how often does that word come up in the popular press!

This line however is on the money imo:

"it's fun and well-produced rave fare—but this music does a dangerous disservice if it's perceived as representative of 'dubstep' to an audience that has never come upon it before."

also, *sigh* its finally time for a sig change.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

I wish RA would change their text and background colours. Got serious stripy vision after reading that!

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    DDDDDDDDD-DROP the bass.

+1 for brostep. Guilty pleasure I guess...? Can't argue with some of those drops. Though the redundant structure makes for an awfully boring listening experience. Rinse and repeat with each track/remix. Too predictable.

Thank you for the new signature lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast