How can I get better at mixing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default How can I get better at mixing?

I got an NS6 for Christmas and have been practicing on it. I took a few DJ lessons a while back and learned all about beatmatching and and setting loops and cue's and all that. Just beginner stuff. But I was wondering how I can get better and what things and techniques I can do to get better. While practicing I've realized that beat matching isn't as easy as it seems which I totally understand and I'm completely willing to put in the time in effort to become better. So my question is, should I just continue to work on my beat matching skills and learning how to place loops and cue's better? And keep that going? Or is there more I should to do improve? I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. Also, where should I go to look for good music to start mixing? I'm new to the DJ scene so I want to make sure I'm going to the right places and doing the right things. I can find popular, hot music on youtube easily, but where can I find new and recent music to use in my tracks that aren't super popular, but still good? Any tips and comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Also, I'm planning to focus more on mixing top 40, progressive house, house and dub. And how do you mix dub? I can't seem to figure that out. Thanks

Tech Mentor

for top 40 .... i just listen to the radio friday & saturday night from like 9pm till like 1am.. check some videos on youtube. it will give you an idea.
    2 Technics M5Gs - 4 Technics mk2s - Novation Dicers - Rane Sixty-two - Monster Beats By Dre. Pro - KrK Rokit 6s - Avid Mini box - Pro Tools - Pioneer DDJ SX - Novation Twitch

Tech Guru

I was lucky enough to learn to play on my own. From beat matching to phrasing, I taught myself by simple practice. Hours and hours of practice. Actually, come to think of it, maybe I wasn't so lucky.

One thing I did that really helped was set personal "skill" goals. As far as beat matching goes, I set 2 goals for myself: match the beats within 32 bars and keep a mix for 2 minutes. Keeping a mix going too long is not a good idea for performance purposes, but it is great practice for your ears. It helped me with the subtle changes in tempo or accidental needle jump in a mix. I know that with all the dj software, beat matching is made easier with visual representations of the music, but in the end it comes down to your hands and ears working together.

Also, but probably most important, know your songs. Every kick every snare, every drop, every build up, every breakdown.

Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.
    Truth
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

I do this while DJing in my bedroom even when im by myself and noone is watching. its great.

Tech Mentor

Only way yer ever gonna get better is to keep at it, practice practice practice, and play to a crowd even if its only a room full of mates - and ask em to rate your performance honestly. It's no good 'em sucking up, if you suck , just to spare your feelings. Positive criticism is essential. And the opposite applies, if your sounding good you need to be told

I'm doing it right now to practice, and I'm at work. I feel like its getting better, but I can't get Sync timed up with raising my hands up. Oh well, practice makes perfect.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

i kinda miss my jesus posing stage...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

RECORD your practice sets!!!!! and LISTEN to them. You'll only get better by listening to your mixing and hearing what you're doing wrong(you're your own worst critic, or definitely SHOULD be). Also, you should ask other people what they like and don't like about your mixes.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast