Using Maschine as a controller for sample decks - Loosing midi signal(?)

Default Using Maschine as a controller for sample decks - Loosing midi signal(?)

Greetings.
    Im new here on the forums. I have however, been reading the articles on DJTT for quite a while.

Anyways, through the two past days I've been trying to adopt my NI Maschine controller into my DJ setup (TP2, Numark Mixdeck & Kontrol X1)

I want to use my Maschine solely as a controller for the sample decks and FX 3/4. I first came across DJ Justice Divine's mapping, and it seemed ideal. Sadly, I wasn't able to download the mappings, since the links were outdated. I then went to Traktor Bible's webpage and found this. It worked, but was not exactly what I had imagined. (bought Xtreme Mappings, and started working out my own mapping)

Then, apperently quite suddenly, the Maschine's MIDI signal started dropping out. I could spend 10 minutes banging out some samples, then turn to the Mixdeck, mix a couple of tracks, and then come back to the Maschine and find it not working. When looking at Traktor the "control indicater" (don't know what to call it, but the little sort of "LED" flashing, when pressing buttons on connected MIDI controllers) there is NO flashing. Surely it flashes when I push buttons on the X1 or the Mixdeck. I've got it working again a couple of times without actually knowing how - I frustatedly delete and reimported the .tsi and restarted everything.

So, I guess this boils down to two questions:

Any ideas on what is causing this? It probably just me being stupid, but I can't figure it out myself.

and, when(if) this is solved:

Has anyone got some awesome sample deck mappings for the Maschine?

Thanks for reading my post,
    DJ Birkeholm

Edit:
    I should probably add this: The MIDI out seems to be working - the LEDs in the pads on the Maschine turn on/off if i use my mouse to trigger samples

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Birkeholm View Post
    Greetings.
    Im new here on the forums. I have however, been reading the articles on DJTT for quite a while.

Anyways, through the two past days I've been trying to adopt my NI Maschine controller into my DJ setup (TP2, Numark Mixdeck & Kontrol X1)

I want to use my Maschine solely as a controller for the sample decks and FX 3/4. I first came across DJ Justice Divine's mapping, and it seemed ideal. Sadly, I wasn't able to download the mappings, since the links were outdated. I then went to Traktor Bible's webpage and found this. It worked, but was not exactly what I had imagined. (bought Xtreme Mappings, and started working out my own mapping)

Then, apperently quite suddenly, the Maschine's MIDI signal started dropping out. I could spend 10 minutes banging out some samples, then turn to the Mixdeck, mix a couple of tracks, and then come back to the Maschine and find it not working. When looking at Traktor the "control indicater" (don't know what to call it, but the little sort of "LED" flashing, when pressing buttons on connected MIDI controllers) there is NO flashing. Surely it flashes when I push buttons on the X1 or the Mixdeck. I've got it working again a couple of times without actually knowing how - I frustatedly delete and reimported the .tsi and restarted everything.

So, I guess this boils down to two questions:

Any ideas on what is causing this? It probably just me being stupid, but I can't figure it out myself.

and, when(if) this is solved:

Has anyone got some awesome sample deck mappings for the Maschine?

Thanks for reading my post,
    DJ Birkeholm

Edit:
    I should probably add this: The MIDI out seems to be working - the LEDs in the pads on the Maschine turn on/off if i use my mouse to trigger samples
    Restart your mac, this happened to me before and i went half crazy. Almost positive it should fix the problem. Let me know how that goes.

Edit: just assuming you have a mac, if not, restart your pc .

Also check that the USB connector is not loosening up from Maschine's circuit board. This can cause similar problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BuRdTuRd View Post
    Restart your mac, this happened to me before and i went half crazy. Almost positive it should fix the problem. Let me know how that goes.

Edit: just assuming you have a mac, if not, restart your pc .
    I tried that, and surely it helps, but then the same thing just happens again.
    However, this time i tried just unplugging the Maschine and reconnecting it. And it helped for 5 mins, and then it dropped out again. With samples still playing. Imagine that in a live situation ^_^

Anyways, It might be a problem with the cable as suggested above. I will try with another MIDI cable. Brb.

Okay, so apperently i got it fixed.

I think i located the problem to the USB hub that I'm using. Not the hub itself though - it IS powered. But 'accidently' wiggled my dongle for my wireless mouse, and it has some sort of short circuit. When i wiggled it around the Maschine's LED's started bugging out. I rearranged all my connected usb cables and removed the dongle and everything works fine now. I hope it lasts!

Nope - it didn't last. Today it was my X1 which was bugging out. My Maschine wasn't even connected to the USB hub. Im afraid it my USB hub that there's something wrong with. It always happens when a lot of midi signal is being transferred (I think)

Does this sound plausable?

I hope someone out there knows anything about this.

I had this issue when using a midi mapping on my X1 and another on maschine. The only way I was able to get around it, was to plug one of them directly into my computer, and then the other into my usb hub. For some reason this worked consistently. Good luck!

You could also just try using your x1 with no midi mapping to see what happens, but this might not be what you ultimately want.

Quote Originally Posted by spiz View Post
    I had this issue when using a midi mapping on my X1 and another on maschine. The only way I was able to get around it, was to plug one of them directly into my computer, and then the other into my usb hub. For some reason this worked consistently. Good luck!

You could also just try using your x1 with no midi mapping to see what happens, but this might not be what you ultimately want.
    I already tried with one of them plugged directly into the computer and the other in the hub. Didn't sovle anything for me, sadly. This also leads me to think, that the problem is software related. I don't know for sure, though.

I don't use a special midi mapping for the x1 - only the original already-in-traktor mapping.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your maschine?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your maschine?
    I didn't try that, but your post made me check if there were any updates to the driver, and it turns out there is!
    Maybe the problem is that my current driver is not working well with OS X 10.7. I hope this update will solve my problem.
    Thanks man