Who actually utilizes Traktor's sample decks? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DjSweekUh View Post
    when in doubt.. ask shiftee
    Like I said, something other than for prepped controllerism routines- that's useless to try to do live.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Like I said, something other than for prepped controllerism routines- that's useless to try to do live.
    Wait, are you saying a practiced performance shouldn't be played live?

I use the sample decks quite often, but as others have said, it's more in a turntablist/scratch mode of play. I use them mainly for sample drops and 808, and all activated by my RigKontrol 3 (Footpedal system) so I can activate them while scratching. They are essential to being able to play several drops at the same time... I haven't used them for loops too much yet, but that's soon to be implemented.
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

I usually just load reverse cymbals and white noise samples. I play nu disco and indie dance: it doesn't lend it self to using lots of samples. I'm also looking at different ways to use sample decks

I couldn't live without my sample decks. I use both C & D as sample decks. I will often use them to take a bunch of the song from A/B then get something new in A/B, always keeping things evolving and moving, bringing loops back in that were playing 5 or 10minutes ago etc etc.
    I do a lot of 4 deck mixing like this, often using the high end or a melody from a track to give another track a new dimension.

I always thought when i got them that i would just use them for 1 shot samples, but i hardly ever do, maybe the odd one here and there.

Was playing with them sample decks the weekend (STILL LEARNING) and found that if I want to sample a bit of track that is still coming.....I wait for it...and loop it as it gets to the mark. Then within like a second....i send it to the sample deck and turn the loop off.

This results in the track not acually looping, and I still have the full sample in my sample deck.

Then I can bring that sample in again when i want it.

Prolly common knowledge...but I just discovered it.....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    On the S4 when focused on the sample deck, you can select 1-4 slots and change the filter or volume on the one or ones selected only instead of all 4 at once.
    How do you focus on a slot? Wasn't working for me when I tried it....

i've stopped using my S4 now, but i seem to remember it being shift plus whatever slot you want to control. Then when you tweak it only affects that one slot.

latenight brainstorm, its an interesting middle ground that doesn't get a lot of attention. Controllerism and preset routines are one side, and straight track mixing-programming is the other side. But what I am interested in using the sample banks for is more live 'live arrangements'. with the basic features of beatjump, i feel that i can do some live arranging, but the sample decks aren't making my workflow any easier.
    Tracks like "Pull Up To The Bumper" by Funkstar Delux or "Say Na" by Aaron LaCrate have parts/edits that Traktor should be able to pull off, live without any prep. There is just like a few clicks that the sample slots aren't getting me there. This is the workflow i am looking for, but i think i will need to custom program my trigger finger to do it.
    the ideas in the post are very helpful.

Tech Guru

I haven't found a useful way to use sample decks yet either. I find that they are not intuitive enough. Instead of just seemlessly throwing a sample in hear and there. I would rather use them as Decks C/D. I spin mostly dance/top 40/electro mainstream stuff so basic 2 deck mixing, a random 3rd deck hear and there and not going overboard works better for the crowds I play for.

However picking up my new turntable today so maby that will change. I believe that I need to find a nice sample pack I enjoy and that will work well for the type of music I play so I can initiate samples more often.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast