What is right for me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is right for me?

I want a home setup just so I can make the occasional mix for myself and my friends. I don't plan on doing anything other than mixing A to B with a bit of looping and basic fx ( filter, delay etc.). No beat juggling, remix decks etc. I produce a bit and know my way around ableton live but I think going that route is too complicated (I have maschine and push but I think it's overkill for what I want to do). I've used Traktor before and had turntables years ago. My budget is around $1000. The main thing I want is something that feels solid and high quality and this is what puts me off the controller and software options (always feel a bit cheap to me). I've been looking at the Xdj R1 (which seems to have reliability problems) and the Xdj-rx ( which is above my budget). Another option I've thought about is Traktor plus S2 or Z1, but they look a bit crap and I'm always worried that in 5 years the technology will be obsolete (I.e. You're stuck with buying the next set up). Of course I'd love a pair of CDJs and mixer but I can't justify that outlay for a hobby I might only do once a month!

I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions!

For making mixes, Ableton Live is the only way to go. You can get as simple, or as complex as you like.

And since you can already produce in Live, I don't understand why you're not already making mixes in Live?

You don't need ANY controllers to make a mix in Live. A mouse, and some knowledge of some key-shortcuts is all you need. (CTRL-E & CNTRL-J are vital!)

Don't waste your money on shiny new toys - you don't need it for what you want to do.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I use an X1, Audio4 and a DJM 250. Very basic. I am not an FX junkie or beat juggler but it would be easy to map the X1 to anything you need (or just get a second X1).
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    For making mixes, Ableton Live is the only way to go. You can get as simple, or as complex as you like.

And since you can already produce in Live, I don't understand why you're not already making mixes in Live?

You don't need ANY controllers to make a mix in Live. A mouse, and some knowledge of some key-shortcuts is all you need. (CTRL-E & CNTRL-J are vital!)

Don't waste your money on shiny new toys - you don't need it for what you want to do.
    I see what you're saying but I probably should have added that I want to play my mixes. Arranging and clicking in live isn't much fun!

Arranging and clicking in live isn't much fun!
    You don't know how wrong you are, mate.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by GreatExpectations View Post
    I see what you're saying but I probably should have added that I want to play my mixes. Arranging and clicking in live isn't much fun!
    APC40 Mk1 ... cheap n' cheerful and works great for DJ'ing in Ableton live, tons of features and dirt cheap these days, solid as hell though (IMHO feels a million times better than the Mk2)

DJ'ing in Ableton does open up a pandoras box of possibilities which can be either amazing or a complete nuisance

A > B mixing is no problem with ableton, if anything its "too easy". Personally I just set up the channels loaded up with my entire playlist of a few hundred tracks color coded.

Vestax VCI 380 - great controller, full version of Serato, really cheap currently.

DDJ-SR - REALLY solid controller and small enough that it'll fit in a backpack - I had one but wasn't using it enough to justify it hanging around unused. Everything feels like a "proper" mixer.

Vestax VCI100 Mk2 - Can be had for as little as $150 NEW ! (I just bought one for the same reason as you).

S2 - obviously pretty cheap and comes with Traktor

The Pioneer Standalone series IMHO is overkill Maximus for the sake of a few hours a month.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatExpectations View Post
    The main thing I want is something that feels solid and high quality and this is what puts me off the controller and software options (always feel a bit cheap to me).

....I'm always worried that in 5 years the technology will be obsolete (I.e. You're stuck with buying the next set up). Of course I'd love a pair of CDJs and mixer but I can't justify that outlay for a hobby I might only do once a month!

I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions!

There are several controllers that are not plastic and really do feel solid. Denon, Vestax,...

What ever you buy - it will be obsolete in 5 years. That's just the way things are now.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

To me it sounds like an S2 is exactly what you need, buy one second hand for €200 and when it becomes obsolete in 5 year's (like many contollers) you can sell it with minimal losses and buy something else. Only disadvantage to the S4(exept ofcourse the lack of deck C&D) is the absence of filter knobs on the mixer section.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

track down any used controller from pioneer, Native Instruments, Numark, Vestax... and hopefully it comes with software for your needs they all do the same thing lol

No love for the XDJ R1? These can be had for $750 or so. Anybody comment on the reliability/performance and quality?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast