[DIY] "Generic midi controller" *Build-log*
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default [DIY] "Generic midi controller" *Build-log*

The "Generic midi controller"

I've been researching DIY midi controllers for as long as I am a member of DJTT. However it has always been difficult for me to settle on a design that really suits my needs instead of a quick project that I do not actually need. One thing I notice a LOT is that I would like to have a dedicated controller for my effects that enables me to control all of them without the need for shift buttons or weird button placement. I think this design is the solution for me. This controller is going to be placed behind a standard 12" mixer.

Design

First of all I would like to thank DJTT for the design pack for the "Midi Fighter X contest" that helped me create this.
    Here it is:

Schedule

25-07-15 Order all parts (buttons, pot's, teensy)
    10-08-15 Complete design in auto cad for lasercutter
    15-08-15 Finish and order PCB
    25-08-15 Cast buttons in custom mold.
    01-09-15 Send files to lasercutter (and possibly 3d printer)
    20-09-15 Finalize software design

Technical details

Brain: Teensy 3.1
    Material case: Three layers of 2mm acrylic

28/8

Ordered all parts except for the arcadebuttons (they are out of stock) just started on the first PCB design and have just finished the top layer of acrylic:

29/8

Ordered the fist PCB: (professionals be like when they see this)

30/8

Made a concept for the 3d-printed case, final design is going to be made in autoCAD:

Finished the design in autoCAD but upon requesting a quote it appeared to cost $276.83 so I'm going with bent acrylic

31/8

Ordered the Chroma Caps:

12/9

Received the lasercut parts: (final device is going to be gry with red):

09/16

Got the PCB's in the mail, going to check them later but they look OK.

09/17

Got the buttons from focus attack for......... here it comes...... $7 a piece! wow! this sucks

This however does not:

09/19

Assembled the button PCB's and tested them:

10/02
    Finished the PCB for the potentiometers.

10/25
    Assembled the PCB for the Pot's:

11/7
    Finally found a place that sold transparant plastic (acrylic) rods with a small diameter in small quantity's, had to enlarge the holes though (with a drill bit 0.5 mm a time * 80 times) then i had to saw this rod in tiny matching pieces (saw, sand the end of the rod and saw the next piece using a saw box). Then I used superglue to glue these on, on the first two i used too much so I had to remove these buttons.

11/14
    Finished smaller buttons:

20/01
    Shitty pic's are better than no pic's , progress is slow especially since I'm in the middle of moving to Leiden.

03/11/2019

I ended up crashing really really hard with the smaller button problem, the acrylic solution was horrible and the shit quality of the led buttons didn't help either (also I made the design waaaaaay to cramped). At some point I even bought a 3D printer in order to print a mold and fill it with silicon to produce some better buttons. The silicon fluid has since gone bad and my 3d printer has not been used yet. On top of this all I'm constantly traveling so I never get settled enough to actually unpack all my hardware tools. Yet, my will remains strong, I will persist and I will finish this one day. I've moved this entire blog post to my personal blog just in case but I'll also keep updating this build log here.

Much love and cheers!
    Last edited by DJDoubleYou; 11-03-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: nostalgia
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

*reserved*

Could you possibly build a second one? I've been looking around for something exactly like this for a while aswell.

Awesome design!

I definitely agree with the need for a dedicated FX controller for Traktor.

I will watch this thread with interest. ��
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Hey DoubleYou,

I'm wondering about the design fitting it to be placed behind the 12" mixer. Are you going to make a slight elevation, or legs, with regards to the cables and plugging?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

that looks pretty cool my recent solution was to buy a launchcontrol xl using 2 rows of 8 pots and the 2 rows of buttons. if ur into using remix decks its handy to have 8 extra faders or pots for their individual effects levels but i can see why u might not want that as part of your controller.

would probably work really well sitting on top of a reloop modular stand
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Hey DoubleYou,

I'm wondering about the design fitting it to be placed behind the 12" mixer. Are you going to make a slight elevation, or legs, with regards to the cables and plugging?
    Yhea zestoi had the same idea as me. A stand would have to be used unfortunately. Although all suggestions are welcome.

Check out the stand that I have for the Zomo MC-1000. Something like this would be PERFECT:

467_0.jpg

The stand actually screws into the sides of the cotroller.

VERY sturdy.
    Last edited by Patch; 01-20-2016 at 09:10 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Check out the stand that I have for the Zopmo MC-1000. Something like this would be PERFECT:

467_0.jpg

The stand actually screws into the sides of eth cotroller.

VERY sturdy.
    This looks great!.. I'm going to copy this... like exactly..

This is what it looks like behind a DJM-850:

IMG_0848.JPG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast