Breaking News: Fellow TechToolers Jump on The Cut!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Breaking News: Fellow TechToolers Jump on The Cut!

Im extreeeeemely happy to see the mass influx of scratch talk on djtt. As much as I love all this technology talk and what not and smartmixing and controllerism jibber jabber, i tend to lurk more because no ones talking about what i love most....SCRATCHING. So tell me fellas, whats up with the all of a sudden jump in scratch interest. Its been an obsession of mine for some time now whats your story?
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

Didnt realise there was a sudden jump. I know I put a post up about scratching and a few peeps said they were glad to finally hear from scratchers but since that post I haven't really seen anything else.
    What is it you want to talk about with regards to scratching exactly?

Tech Guru

I mean. I think that controller based dj's are starting to appreciate and incorporate more scratch friendly equipment into their sets, mainly due to the fact that big name scratch dj's (rafik off the top of my head) are starting to incorporate controllers into their setup.

Tech Wizard

Personally I've never understood the fascination with the scratch sound. Each to his own though and I appreciate the skill required.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bergen View Post
    personally i've never understood the fascination with the scratch sound. Each to his own though and i appreciate the skill required.
    +10000

well i dunno alot more talk in general has been going on. people putting pro x-fades in vci100s more threads about vci300 and capabilites saw a couple of posts about traktor vs scratch live in regards to scratching, just seems like more are talking about it on the forums than before. kind of refreshing.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bergen View Post
    Personally I've never understood the fascination with the scratch sound. Each to his own though and I appreciate the skill required.
    I understand totally where you're coming from. Too much scratching can sound irritating after a while. I used to be a scratch DJ in a band and the rest of members would say "right this is the part where you have your little scratch solo", but that would be on every song. It got to the point where I had to turn around and tell them that less is more with scratching, and people are going to get pissed off with this constant tearing sound over every song. So I started playing bongos and percussion as well so I wasn't doing nothing on a load of the songs.
    I sometimes have my doubts to be honest. Like sometimes I think what is the point in all this, it's not like a melodic instrument or anything (although to be fair some DJ's do play it as an instrument, but I'm not quite at that level yet). I think to myself scratching up the word "hey" for example, when does anyone make a "h-h-h-h-yeh-hey-yeh-hey" sound with their voice. It doesn't really make any sense.
    But then on the flip side when it's done well it adds energy to the music. Have you ever been to a DMC championship? That's when you can really appreciate scratching for the art form it really is. Beat juggling, drumming, live remixing of tracks to make a completely new track, that to me is the essence of scratching.
    Check out Kentaro, Q-bert, Scully, all those guys. They fucking smash it up.

Tech Guru

Oh, and to Phormula1.8T, have you got any vids of you scratching or anything? Shame I don't live in the States man, I'd love to hook up with someone who's obviously as passionate about scratching as you. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if I put an ad/post up somewhere saying I'm looking to hook up with someone state side I'd get quite a few responses. It doesn't really happen over here in England for some reason.

trying to get a good quality camera and find a good way to record using traktor scratch duo so that i can put up a video and scratch tracks. definately want oto put some videos up though.
    Durty Harry

I am gonna pop one on as soon as i get back to work. (free bandwidth).

I have it sounding pretty cool....ish.

I am still using deckadance and the VCI-100 as a mixer.
    Then using a Traktor TC vinyl.

Upgrading to TSP ASAP....lol.......its just too killa for words..
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast