How To Get A Fatter Wobble Sound in Live?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How To Get A Fatter Wobble Sound in Live?

So I have a track all worked out, the basics are done, but when the drop hits, there's just not enough there. I'm using the simpler and a square wave that I've highly modified, but I just can't figure it out. Help?
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

ctrld

simpler is not really the number one choice for wobbles, you know. get something like massive, albino, sylenth or maybe razor (it's barely out so I haven't tested it yet, but the demo sounds promising enough).

use more than one oscillator (detuning two or more oscillators against each other is a good thing to try) and more than one instance of your synth. you need to layer shit to get the phatness out. most of the filtered wobble movement takes place in a higher frequency range so just kill everything below, say, 160Hz (just a rough estimate, find your own treshold - it's different for each sound). then use another waveform (a simple sine makes sense) for the subbass only and play them together. sending super low frequencies through a filter doesn't make much sense, so try automating the volume of your subbass instead.

also, don't sidechain compress too much; instead, try working with EQs to give each sound its own spot in the frequency range. this will give you more intense dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    simpler is not really the number one choice for wobbles, you know. get something like massive, albino, sylenth or maybe razor (it's barely out so I haven't tested it yet, but the demo sounds promising enough).

use more than one oscillator (detuning two or more oscillators against each other is a good thing to try) and more than one instance of your synth. you need to layer shit to get the phatness out. most of the filtered wobble movement takes place in a higher frequency range so just kill everything below, say, 160Hz (just a rough estimate, find your own treshold - it's different for each sound). then use another waveform (a simple sine makes sense) for the subbass only and play them together. sending super low frequencies through a filter doesn't make much sense, so try automating the volume of your subbass instead.

also, don't sidechain compress too much; instead, try working with EQs to give each sound its own spot in the frequency range. this will give you more intense dynamics.
    Dude great info. Ive been wondering this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Last edited by rhombus_77; 03-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

you bet. I just realized another plugin is needed for the second to last link. Find it here:

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

The right (or wrong) EQing can really bring out dimension in your sound, too.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

As already mentioned, part of the trick is having a great synth like Massive and layering it. However, I have found that sometimes even that isn't enough. It still doesn't give you that overpowering boom that just feels completely overdone.

That's why I'd suggest finding a high quality multi-band distortion/overdrive plugin. Ohmicide and Izotope Trash are two great examples. If that's too complicated, sometimes you just need a tube amp plugin.
    Last edited by TWD; 03-26-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Tech Wizard

It's all about frequency panning. A really good wobble keeps its low end in mono, but the mid frequencies are slightly panned outward and the highs panned even more. It has to fill the entire stereo field so that it surrounds the listener instead of being focused on a single point. Brostep tracks take advantage of the fact that the wobble is really the only thing going on to make that wobble stupidly powerful; if it's only dead center then the mix will sound empty. Some plugins can do this in a streamlined way, but the classic method is to route the original bassline to several different audio tracks and filter each one so each has its own frequency range and stereo placement. At that point, you can process each band with its own fx.
    Last edited by qyzyx; 03-27-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Excellent info guys, thanks!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast