Scam?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scam?

Default Scam?

So I just sold my VCI-100 Arcade in an ebay auction, and I sent a message to the buyer asking if he wanted to pick it up, or me to ship it out to him.

And this is the response I got:

'Hello,

Thanks for your quick response, I am very happy to be the winner of this Item on the auction today.

I am currently on the ship due to the nature of my work, I'll be paying you with my credit card via my PayPal, If my offer is accepted.. The payment will be made through PayPal, But you will have to get back to me with the following information so that my pick up agent will come and pick up as soon as possible...However, I'm ready to pay now into your account...

Your Name and address:
    PayPal email:
    Contact email:

I will also prefer to contact you directly through your email because i don't check my eBay account everytime..

Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked, So no shipping..

Await for your swift response.

Gina.'

To me, it seems a little fishy. But if he's paying me I don't quite see where it could go wrong. So, anyone got some advice for me?

seems legit. caveat emptor
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I agree it seems fishy with a pick up agent involved.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Seems alright to me. If you get paid no big deal. Because s/he mentioned the nature of their work, maybe military or overseas, and there's nowhere to ship to? Get the money, and then its easy street for you.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

eBay clearly states that you should never deal with buyers via personal contact outside of eBay. There's a good reason for this - eBay communications are tracked, stored, and act as a 3rd party in any sort of dispute. Also, the fact that there's a pick up agent (like photojojo said) is VERY fishy.

I say pass man. Save yourself any hassle.

Yeah, makes sense for someone to pick it up for them if they are working on a ship. Maybe its the way the message has been typed up, that makes me feel a bit suspicious about it.

Would it be possible for him/her to pay via paypal, and then say that the item was not picked up or whatever, and then claim the money back through paypal's buyer protection?

Also, a few things...The grammar/English is really off.

1. "I am very happy to be the winner of this Item on the auction today"
    2. "I am currently on the ship..."
    3. Capitalizing random words much?
    4. "...i don't check my eBay account everytime.."
    5. The fact that she wants specific information about you that is unnecessary for an eBay transaction.
    6. "..arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked, So no shipping.."
    7. "Await for your swift response."

7 things that jumped out at me on a second read. Not feeling legit here, sorry.

Again, PayPal scams are SO easy to work when you are not operating under some sort of protection policy. It's as easy as filing a dispute saying you never received said item. I've had it happen to me and I was out $500. Shit sucks, but it happens.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this one!

Yeah, I think I'll avoid this one, unless theyre willing to do a simple cash on pick-up exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by BURST! View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll avoid this one, unless theyre willing to do a simple cash on pick-up exchange.
    This is smart on your end. You can probably get your listing fees back from eBay (if there were any) if you show them the correspondence this person had with you.

Didn't have any insertion fees, but I'm being charged like $50 for the final value fee. Do you know how I can get this back?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast