Question about USB hubs

Default Question about USB hubs

Hi guys,

Ive used the search function but got no results on "usb hub", "hub" nor "usb".
    So im getting my launchpad, TA2DJ and X1 in the mail soon.
    Though i've only got two USB ports.

I have some sort of USB hub that has no external power source.
    I plan on plugging the X1 and the launchpad in the hub. Will this do the job or will this cause any sort of problems such as lag or MIDI messages from the launchpad and X1 getting mixed up ?

Thanks for your advice
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Its gonna depend on the Hub and your laptop TBH .... test it out is the only thing you can do.

I've been using an unpowered hub without issues with my APC40, Numark I/O and Nanokontrol as I use the other USB for my External HDD.

I use a USB Hub that i got with my Vestax Typhoon, and i've found that it can't run my nanoPad for some reason. Really odd, and i can't work out the reason, But i guess it just depends on the quality of the Hub and how much power the controllers need.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Guru

The hub isn't going to mix up any MIDI messages or anything like that, but you might run into power problems if you don't get a powered hub. It really depends on the computer you have and it's USB chipset (and to some degree your OS). But there aren't any hard and fast rules here - it's entirely possible that you could have an identical make and model computer as someone else and have different results. This is because it's common for manufacturers to change components based on market prices. These changes go on without most people noticing.

Can I ask why you're dead set against getting a powered hub?

I'll wait and see then, I hope I won't have any problems !

Thanks for the input
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...irmed+multi+TT

I use the Belkin F4U017 and have had a Midi Fighter, two X1's, S4, APC40 external hd, and sometimes a USB mic all hooked up with no problem. Sound card always goes into the computer.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x