Possible Project for a total beginner?

Default Possible Project for a total beginner?

Hey DJTT!

This seems like the perfect place to base my project on. I am aiming on creating a production/mixing set up from scratch for as cheap as I can without compromising too much quality for price. I love music and have been creating a lot of music over the years, however this has been mostly on the drums and in bands etc. Life changed me and I now am really into party scenes. I have a good group of friends who have regular house parties but the music is atrocious (Ipod's plugged into soundsystems ). My universities club has a really crap dj basically only plays music straight from top of the pops (Rhianna, over and over and over again) ! We are all into mash-ups and generally music with quality! However no one has the money for equipment! After all we are all poor students!

I would like to know, from your expertise in making a lot of controllers whether or not it is possible to make a 'house party ready' set up, for less than 500 pounds. Keep in mind I already have:

- a Macbook
    -Basic sound system (perfectly fine for smallish house parties, were not too picky with quality of sound, only music choice)
    -Software (O.O I'm not sure how I got that :P), Ableton and Tracktor
    -Lots of spare time and I live with design students (who are all knowledgeable with electronics and have access to machinery)
    -Lots of music

So I guess (if I have read right) that all I need now is:
    -Controller
    -Soundcard
    -Headphones
    -Practice

Ive spean't a good 6 months making mix's on virtual dj with my mouse and keyboard. The creative genius inside me is in tears because of its limitations. I do however believe I have the basics down. I have no shame in making music and If I end up looking like this:

Then so be it. The show must go on!

Haha so I guess my ultimate question is do you think this is possible!? (hopefully that picture shows proof!)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Was this post just an excuse to show us that picture of you and your mate.

What i got from all that is that you already have all the gear apart from a controller and a soundcard.
    Buy a second-hand VCI-100 and an Audio 4 soundcard.
    Save the money you spend on Fancy Dress Banana outfits for some decent headphones.

Ive got a bunch of student mates who had a house party , then had another , then a few more . They decided to hire a room and play to some mates to make a few quid and now they actually run the club they hired and do this:

http://www.myspace.com/beatsofrage
    All happend in under a year.

They got Boy8Bit this week , theyve had FOAMO, Mr Flash, Ed Banger Records Nite and loads stuff like that.

So ditch the stupid toys get serious and rock a party .

Good Luck.

Was this post just an excuse to show us that picture of you and your mate.
    That is not me at all. That was just a picture I saw on the net that I thought you guys would get a kick out of.

Thanks for the advice though! Beats of Rage look like they got how to start down!

Quote Originally Posted by Chikito View Post
    That is not me at all. That was just a picture I saw on the net that I thought you guys would get a kick out of.

thatīs me and my brother @ his birthday party?!!

Yeah honestly Chikito, Beats Of Rage went from a party in a cellar to running there own club in about a year. They are ripping it up every month.
    If you have the same level of enthusiasm as them then you can do it.

(btw just read my own post and it sounded a bit twatty, didnt mean it to )

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Keep in mind...

Your set up is only as strong as the weakest part of the chain. If you have a cheap MIDI controller it's going to show. If you have a cheap sound card it's going to show. Even if you have cheap headphones it's going to show.

You're better off saving up and buying better stuff, or finding good stuff used. If you cheap out to get it started faster you'll be the one suffering, trust me.

It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah I agree 100% , theres nothing worse than looking back wondering why you skimped on that 'box' that you never use anymore. Entry Level stuff is ok if its really cheap but i always advise anyone to save hard and get stuff that will serve you well. And when you come to upgrade you will find a buyer for it.
    Whos gonna buy a second hand DJ/IO thats 2 years old when they cost next to nothing anyway.

making a controller for what you want to do is expensive!!!

half ass system that will give you what you want:

Edirol UA-1EX
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Korg Nano Kontrol
    Sony HDR v300

you'll be WELL under 500 pounds with a setup like this, and you have what you need to get started plus room to breathe...

Alternatively you can get yourself an entry level controller with jog wheels (if you need them). I picked up and ION I-CUE at a garage sale and it works perfectly fine with Virtual DJ...

Do some more research (this site is a wealth of information), thats half the fun dude. Dont just ask us to make a decision you are more then capable of making yourself... just my 2 cents...

p.s. Those are circuit bent instruments in that pic, unless your into bleeps blaps and warped sounds probably not what your looking for.