Best way to spend $4000 on a complete mobile setup
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best way to spend $4000 on a complete mobile setup

Hi all.
    So I started with my Stanton SCS.4DJ a couple months ago and did a few basement parties and mixxtapes. I landed a couple paid gigs and decided I want to get serious about dj'ing. I did a lot of homework and found this gem of a website. The forums are straight gold. I'm hoping to get some good feedback before I spend my money.

So i stacked some chips and I'm going to invest in equipment. My goal is to do private parties, weddings and clubs when I can book them. I need to have a complete setup including PA system. Anyway, here's what I'm looking at. Comments, suggestions and criticism welcome:

NI Traktor Kontrol S4 + Midi Fighter Classic bundle from DJTT.com $979
    13.3in Macbook Pro I7 4GB RAM 750 GB hard drive from BestBuy $1499.99
    2 QSC K10 1000 watt powered PA speakers with totes, cables
    & stands bundle from proaudiostar.com $1424
    Sony MDR-V6 Headphones from Barnes & Noble $69.99
    Total comes to around $4000 which is my budget.

Please weigh in with opinions, suggestions, etc.

Thanks.
    Flaco.

If you are doing mobile stuff you absolutely 100% need a subwoofer otherwise the sound is going to suck. Also I would skip the K10s and get the K12s the price difference isn't much. Look around on craigslist for a used QSC HPR151i or 1811, you can get a good deal for cheaper than the Ksub and they will both be superior.

The KW subs are really nice but pricey.

I would wait on the midifighter personally- invest that money in sound where it really counts for now.

And you can get much better prices on all of that stuff just email/call proaudiostar and see what they can do.

Tech Guru

you need bigger speakers for mobile gigs. 10 inch speakers will not give you any lows in a big room, unless you add a sub to that package which is what you'll need to do for a serious mobile set up. I think you can cut some costs a bit. For example you don't need a midifighter right of the bat. Also, I have the same macbook but with 500g drive and I used a student discount to get it from Apple and I think it was about 200 bucks cheaper. You can always get a refurbished one straight from Apple it carries the same warranty as new. If I had 4g's to spend I would stretch it out a bit more.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

also look on craigslist- you can find great deals on QSC speakers. There are tons of deals around and get a subwoofer no matter what tops you get. mobile DJs with no subs sound awful it doesn't matter if it's a wedding or a basement rave if you don't have a sub the sound is going to be poor.

Tech Guru

$2500 worth of speakers. A base model macbook pro and a $500 controller.

Tech Mentor

hold off on the midi fighter. although it looks cool and all i wouldn't get it right away. get a wireless mic if you want to be mobile. esp. if u plan on doing weddings. i don't see any reason to use a midi fighter @ a wedding any ways.

Ive probably only spent $1500 (not including laptop) on my mobile setup (without the laptop)
    2x$250 12" speakers, 1x$500 Sub, and various controllers, lights etc and it works a dream
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

Instead of the k10's I got electro-voice elx-112p's for $850 (for the pair) and I'm about to get the matching elx-118p sub for about $600. Much cheaper than QSC and it gets the job done. Or you go with the mackie setup for about the same prices. With the money you save on speakers you could spend on something else like lights.

Tech Mentor

Yeah dude you most def need some bigger speakers than 10 inches. I'd say 12 at least, 14 would be preferred. I have the 14' active Mackies, and their pretty good just really damn heavy.

Get the basemodel Mac, or if you really want to spend that much $$ get the 15 inch.
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

You don't really need a Mac with i7 processor, i5 will do just fine. That being said, you don't actually need a Mac at all, lots of PC laptops will do just fine as well and can cut the costs a lot. Any laptop with i5 processor (I guess even i3 will be fine) and at least 4 gigs of ram will be good enough.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast