Have S2 thinking of getting S4, is it worth it?

Cool Have S2 thinking of getting S4, is it worth it?

Hey guys,

I've owned the S2 for about a week and a half and I love it so far. It's simple enough to learn and I can mix tracks without a problem. But to be honest I feel like I could be doing more as far as mixing different loops and vocals to create more custom sets. I have listened to EDM for more than 5 years and just recently got interested in mixing on my own, maybe eventually start producing my own beats.

What do you guys think? Is the S4 much more advantageous in mixing sets than the S2? Or is the S2 adequate for most mixing? The S4 would only cost me about 250 bucks more, and I have two Behringer studio monitors on the way so I am going to be spending time mixing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Ardit
    Last edited by albardit18; 07-27-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Judging from what you've said, I don't think so. Mixing different loops and vocals can be done with the sample decks in Traktor Pro 2, and the S2 already comes with control of those decks mapped directly to the controller. The key things you'll get with the S4 are control over another 2 channels, and a loop recorder. My opinion is that if you haven't "mastered" the S2 then there's no point in having an extra 2 channels. Plus I think with the S2 you can still control decks C and D, but you don't have two extra (dedicated) channel strips to control EQ and level.

Edit: I would also add that I don't find the S4 that competitive now that the Numark 4 Trak and Vestax VCI 400 are out. Sure it's still on par, but the build quality of the VCI and 4 Trak seem much better.

Banned

Doesn't the S4 have a better audio interface than the S2?

I've considered it and after thinking about it hard enough I'm probably going to end up getting the S4 soon. I know I'm not going to use it at its fullest at first but I know I'll need it for mashups and mixing different tracks simultaneously. Also, the fact that it has more options to begin with makes it a good deal in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by snoemu5a View Post
    Doesn't the S4 have a better audio interface than the S2?
    Better in the sense that it inputs where the S2 doesn't, but I think in terms of the sound quality it's the same?

Tech Mentor

My thoughts after some months with the S2. I do wish I had the additional 2 deck control (and yes I know you can get S2 mappings for all 4 decks). I have desired to do more layering on the fly, and short of a F1 and a lot of cutting up to get loops, you need the 4 deck control.

I do like my S2 a lot. However coming form vinyl from ages ago, I do miss that feel. I might go whole hog back to turntables, or DNS3700 to get that vinyl feel back. But you can't beat the all-in-one compactness.
    DJ Lou Paris

My view is, if it is a tool, instrument, or equipment (and a DJ controller fits all these categories) and you are working professionally with it, you should always invest in the best tool, instrument, or equipment possible, which means between the S2 and S4, the S4 is the better choice simply because it gives you much more control over Traktor (which is also a tool btw ).

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

I upgraded to an s4 after less than a month with an s2, I muh prefer the s4 the extra channels and filter knobs have allowed me to do bette sounding sets. I can also plug friends controllers into one of the inputs so we can switchers about with that