Upgrading Recomendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Upgrading Recomendations

Alright guys, I am in the market for a new controller -

I currently own a Novation Twitch, and a Mix-Track. I've owned an APC 20, 40, and MixTrack Pro.

I am currently looking to upgrade a something with good jog wheels, internal sound card, and I would prefer that it have multiple types of out puts rather than just multiple RCA outs, or just 1/4in outs. Better yet if you could recommend me a combination of gear (CD player, turntables, mixer, DVS box, ect thats within the below price range, that would be great)

800 dollars seems to be my price limit -

If it helps, here's a mash up I recently recorded during a live set, maybe it will help you ID my play style, making it easier to recommend a controller. All I know is that, I really like having a decent amount of cue points and loops saved.
    https://soundcloud.com/ddanse/kyoto-...lings-dj-danse

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Zer0beet; 03-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Tech Mentor

There's probably loads for that price limit (though Im not quite sure of the prices in dollars) - have you looked at Traktor Kontrols? VCI? Mixdecks? Reloop Terminal Mix?
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Mentor

I have taken a look at the Mixdeck quad, but the general consensus amoung the people I know who have bought 1 is that it SUCKS in controller mode -
    I would buy a reloop controller, but I'd have to pay an extra 130USD to use it with serato :/
    I have also looked at an S4 (Which is right at my price limit) and that is one of my definite options.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0beet View Post
    I have taken a look at the Mixdeck quad, but the general consensus amoung the people I know who have bought 1 is that it SUCKS in controller mode -
    I would buy a reloop controller, but I'd have to pay an extra 130USD to use it with serato :/
    I have also looked at an S4 (Which is right at my price limit) and that is one of my definite options.
    Terminal Mix 4; they ship with a full copy of Serato DJ now, if that's your sort of thing. Personally, I'm a Traktor man so I just re-mapped it.

Also: best controller I've EVER used.

Well, if jogs are of major importance to you, what about 2x Denon DN-SC2000 and an Ecler Nuo 2.0 mixer? Oh, and a soundcard of course, but an Audio2 should do for the moment. You might clock in a bit above your limit, but not by much.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Well, if jogs are of major importance to you, what about 2x Denon DN-SC2000 and an Ecler Nuo 2.0 mixer? Oh, and a soundcard of course, but an Audio2 should do for the moment. You might clock in a bit above your limit, but not by much.
    10cm jog on the SC2000s vs 15.5cm on the TM4. The TM4 literally has the biggest jogwheels I've ever seen on a MIDI controller, aside from the NS7, and that's a whole different kettle of fish being moving platter etc.

Tech Guru

If jog wheels are a priority, you should know that any 3rd party controllers will not have as tight jog integration with Traktor compared to the S2/4.

The more expensive Vestax controllers (300,380,400) often get good points for their jog wheel quality.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

I thought teh Denon jogs actually have higher resolution than the S4/S2? Or maybe it was just the pitch faders.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If jog wheels are a priority, you should know that any 3rd party controllers will not have as tight jog integration with Traktor compared to the S2/4.

The more expensive Vestax controllers (300,380,400) often get good points for their jog wheel quality.
    Not true, the Numark 4Trak is quoted to have better jogs than the S4 as far as responsiveness and quality goes.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Yeah the whole "Traktor S4 perfect integration" thing is bull; the Reloop stuff gives 4096 ticks per rotation, which is WAY higher than the NI hardware.

EDIT: S4 is 1000 ticks, NS6 had 3600, not sure about the NS7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast