Why are people still using cdj's with timecode?

Default Why are people still using cdj's with timecode?

Hey. I really hope this thread doesn't go down like the sync/tt vs controllers one...

So, i was just watching dillon francis' perfomance at holy ship, and he was using 2000's (don't know if nexus, they're pretty much undistinguishable).
    Now, apart from the great performance, i was curious about why , in jan 2013, was he using DVS (ssl) with a pair of capable players such as the 2000s.
    Now many may bash me here, "he uses what he wants to, he's dillon francis and who are you to criticize him in the first place"; i'm not hating on anyone, of course he can use whatever he wants to, but i just have a pair of questions that maybe you could help me find the answers to, no hate

So, bear with me:
    Cdj 2000s are a standalone platform with waveform displays, hot cues, loops, integrated effects, bpm detection, basically everything a dj needs. So why would someone use a system that was designed for turntables, that cripples some of the functions of the players themselves, but doesn't actually add anything to the setup except latency? What functions does SSL have that a standard cdj2000+djm900 setup doesn't?

I mean, even with the "old" 2000s there is rekordbox to manage songs on a computer.

I know MANY of you will not agree with me, but i feel like using DVS on an already digital system is like trying to get from A to B while building a wall in between the two points.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Guru

Are you sure he was using timecode and not HID? SSL is the required Serato version for CDJs using HID control.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Only he can answer that. But I suspect he's just using what he's comfortable with.

Maybe he has every intention of exploring different ways of using his gear (at some point), but that takes time - time is valuable!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

In your specific example this probably doesn't apply however you have to remember (as Patch said) one might feel uncomfortable using certain equipment and as such choose to stick with what they know to make sure they do a good job. I know with Dillon Francis in particular, he has always used SSL, and I imagine its because he's become so familiar with it that he chooses to continue to use it over more modern technology.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Are you sure he was using timecode and not HID? SSL is the required Serato version for CDJs using HID control.
    No, can't be sure of that, although i remember reading an interview with him where he mentioned timecode...
    Still, there's quite a lot of other people using timecodes on cdj's with ssl/tsp...
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Only he can answer that. But I suspect he's just using what he's comfortable with.

Maybe he has every intention of exploring different ways of using his gear (at some point), but that takes time - time is valuable!
    Yes and i completely understand that he might be so used to it that he can't switch. Same happened with me when i started djing more regularly, i had to switch from vdj to traktor, and it wasn't an easy switch at all.
    But i'm really curios as of why would one cripple his gear's functionality just because he cannot make the change...

I'm using timecode, because after several years of investing time into processing my music in traktor and itunes, I don't want to devote any more time into music prep. Using time code may or may not be future proof, but it saves me from what I personally find to be yet another boring tedious task in a fun hobby/job.

I would suspect that Professional DJ's are much like most of us bedroom/Home/smaller DJ's in that you always want to try out and mess around with kit, just because you can.

Im constantly moving stuff around and trying mappings, just to test it out and see if it fits my workflow etc. Each to their own i guess.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Guru

Quite possibly he's using timecode, haven't checked in a while --- but there was a known issue with SSL in HID mode and the nexus.

Like many have said, if his songs, set up, work flow is developed around SSL it would take some serious work to switch to another platform. Also many folks use SSL even with timecode because of video (Fatboy Slim, Joachim Garraud), not sure if DF does video at his shows.

I think it just comes down to workflows and what you are the artist is most comfortable with. I could play the exact same set on CDJ's and rekordbox, but would be out of my comfort zone not using SSL which is second nature.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300