Should I start with the Pioneer DDJ-SX2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Should I start with the Pioneer DDJ-SX2

I heard this one can do for a long time, which I'm actually looking for. I don't know anything about controller or any other hardwares. But since this could include the other hardwares in a device, I think it's worth the money spent. (I know this ain't cheap), and I am gonna learn while progressing with a device I guess?

All what I have now is a Macbook Pro and the Serato software in it. So this could help me begin my journey.
    I am now in a very pleasant mood with EDM so I am not gonna live it for just a while.

What do you guys think?

Tech Mentor

Do you have money? Then go for it.
    Do you not have money? Start with the SR or maybe even the SB.

SX is always good, but if you don't have the money and are just starting out a a DJ it's not worth the investment.

Ignore this guy above me. Totally worth the investment. The jog wheels feel like pioneer cdj jog wheels (even though they are much smaller) which will set you up if you ever have to play on club standard. You have the DVS upgrade capability if you want to learn timecode vinyl later on. You can buy it in 3 easy payments without a credit check at americanmusical.com . In short, buy the SX2 man.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

If you havent mixed at all I wouldnt reccomend getting a controller that has everything and more lol.

It has secondary functions by double tapping buttons and whatnot. Id get a mixtrack or something cheaper and smaller to learn and see if its your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    Ignore this guy above me. Totally worth the investment. The jog wheels feel like pioneer cdj jog wheels (even though they are much smaller) which will set you up if you ever have to play on club standard. You have the DVS upgrade capability if you want to learn timecode vinyl later on. You can buy it in 3 easy payments without a credit check at americanmusical.com . In short, buy the SX2 man.

Lol cdjs are nothing like using the sx besides the smoothness of the jogs. Thats it.

I have an SX at home and gig out on cdj's. TBH, its the exact same response as the cdj on its most sensitive. Scratching is different, but thats about it.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the responses dudes. I am sure it's a good machine to start with. I just need more reviews and details before deciding the purchase. As I mentioned before, I am a total beginner. So the additional functions won't really be necessary for the moment as I am just gonna hit the main functions.
    Any references on where I can learn doing it? I wish to play on a club/party standard in 6-12 months.

Cheers.

Tech Mentor

Bump

It's perfectly capable of teaching you everything you need to know to play a party. Just add music, passion, and time.

I don't use my SX right now, but it's not because the thing is lacking.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    It's perfectly capable of teaching you everything you need to know to play a party. Just add music, passion, and time.

I don't use my SX right now, but it's not because the thing is lacking.
    do you think it worths my investment? i know a grand is a big price to pay. but i am willing to give it a shot as long as i would be relying on it for couple of years. is dj hardware something that will last for long or are they gonna be replaced by the recent release soon?

It depends entirely on you and your outlook.

I don't know if it's worth it to you. That's up to you. It was worth it to me to buy a v1 the day it came out. It felt a lot like having pioneer CDJs and a mixer....it was just a bit weirder to carry around (but lighter) and required the laptop. After I got sick of spinning that way, I used it as just a mixer for a while.

If you want to spin on CDJs, that is the cheapest and easiest way to get into that way of working, and it has more capabilities. The only downside is that it requires a laptop (or another source) to actually play music. That may or may not be a downside to you. I think it's great at what it is.

As for your other question....it depends even more on you.

I have an SX (not SX2). I never really looked at the differences because it did what I wanted it to do, and it's still in fine shape (apart from my cats chewing on some of the knobs). My turntables are....idk...15 years old. I know people that are using SL-1100 turntables that haven't been built since the '70s.

Once you get into quality gear, the general trend is that yes, it will last....maybe not 40+ years like some of the old stuff, but at least a few. If you're the kind of person who constantly chases updates, it's expensive 'cuz you keep buying new stuff. It's also annoying that things come out more often than they used to, so used prices sometimes aren't as stable. But something new doesn't mean yours is worthless.

Take the Pioneer CDJs. There have basically been 3 big changes to them. The CDJ-1000 being generally higher-quality than what came before it with very good scratching performance...in 2001. Since then, they've added the ability to play off USB devices, zoomable/good screens that actually show the waveform, and ethernet connections that allow them to share USB/network sources and sync.

3 important changes in almost 14 years.

Today, I wouldn't buy a CDJ-1000 because the 3 advances that are in the 2000nxs are good if you can afford it. But it's not often that those big changes come about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast