Drumrack
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumrack

Smile Drumrack

Hey guys i've got a question concernig the drumrack in ableton live 9. In my tracks almost the whole percussiv part of my track is based on this instrument. I have my kicks, snares, tombs, hihats and crashes in it.

During my track i would like to put in a filter, a reverb or/and a simple delay (like every16th or 32th beat so that there is some alternation in it). i do this by making returntracks or audiotracks (with an effect in it) and send all the tracks i want into it.

Now to the drumrack...Is there a possibility to send the samples of my drumrack i want to this busses?

Let's say i have a buss with a highpassfilter at 6kHz in it..if i send my drumrack in there the lower frequences of the percussion are filterd. Now i just want to put an unfiltered punching snare over the filterd beat. That means that i should send my snare directly to the mastertrack..

I know..i could create a second midi-track with a drumrack in it and put my unfiltered snare there. But i just want one drumrack for my beat. The reason is firstly i have a parallel compression in my drumrack a secondly my cpu is not the best. So i have to use the less midi tracks and effects i can...

Hope you know what i mean and thx for the answers! cheers!

Open up the I/O, then click on the S and R button on the drum rack.

Now you have sends/returns for each pad in your drum rack.

You have to create the return track within the drum rack - you can't use one of your song's returns.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Default Drumrack

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post

You have to create the return track within the drum rack - you can't use one of your song's returns.
    Hey! Thx for your answer

Okay i've done this so far..i've created a new return track (audio to: rack output) in my drum rack. Let's say there is a simple Housebeat with one kick, one snare and a high hat.

1. Now i put an autofilter in this returntrack and route the snare to this return (i put the send of my snare in the drumrack to 0.0dB).

2. i go to the returntrack (with the autofilter) in my drumrack an play around with the autofilter.

3. i remark that the autofilter doesn't work as it should..only if i solo the returntrack the autofilter works.

You know how i can solve this problem so that the the autofilter works without solo my return?

Tech Mentor

Ok, this may not exactly be what you're looking for, since it means running more midi tracks, yet it's my favorite workflow and if you can make it work you should give it a try...

Once you're done programming your beats, open up your drum rack so that you can see each of the individual channels.

Now right-click on one of the channels (e.g. the kick) and select "extract chain" (or something similar, I'm using the german version.. ).

This will create a new midi channel outside the drum rack that contains just the kick and a clip with the respective midi data, while at the same time deleting that channel from the drum rack.

Repeat for every channel in the drum rack.

In the end you will have one dedicated midi channel for each of your drum elements.

For me this approach holds some major advantages:

1. You can use the main send/return channels of your track.

2. More routing possibilities. You can group your drum tracks as you like, e.g. if you want to process you main drums with parallel compression and leave out the percussive elements. Or group the percussion, put a high pass filter on the group and leave the rest of the drums untouched.

3. Having dedicated midi clips for each drum element makes arranging so much easier, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Ok, this may not exactly be what you're looking for, since it means running more midi tracks, yet it's my favorite workflow and if you can make it work you should give it a try...

Once you're done programming your beats, open up your drum rack so that you can see each of the individual channels.

Now right-click on one of the channels (e.g. the kick) and select "extract chain" (or something similar, I'm using the german version.. ).

This will create a new midi channel outside the drum rack that contains just the kick and a clip with the respective midi data, while at the same time deleting that channel from the drum rack.

In the end you will have one dedicated midi channel for each of your drum elements.

2. More routing possibilities. You can group your drum tracks as you like, e.g. if you want to process you main drums with parallel compression and leave out the percussive elements. Or group the percussion, put a high pass filter on the group and leave the rest of the drums untouched.

3. Having dedicated midi clips for each drum element makes arranging so much easier, imho.
    �� this!!!
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

- Have the drumrack for everything, but then just put your unfiltered snare on an audio track.

- Lay everything out in arrange view with what you have in your drumrack to how you want it and then "freeze" it, so it essentially just becomes an audio clip, rather than midi and that will save a LOT of CPU. You wont be able to edit after this, until you unfreeze (and then re-freeze it again once done).

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post

i do something similiar... i create a bunch of simpler tracks and group them. the group has the master effects, and each simpler has its respective drum sample and midi data. All my sections have their own groups like so.

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    i do something similiar... i create a bunch of simpler tracks and group them. the group has the master effects, and each simpler has its respective drum sample and midi data. All my sections have their own groups like so.
    Is that what you see on your screen or have you done a fancy screen shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Moo View Post
    Is that what you see on your screen or have you done a fancy screen shot?
    photoshoped the screenshots together

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post

Thanks A lot!! I check this thread just by hazard and... i found a trick that's i was looking for since a lot ot time. It will litght my coming week :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast