NEW DJ curious on what would be good to get. I already have this list but, what else?

Default NEW DJ curious on what would be good to get. I already have this list but, what else?

I am going to be buying this at the end of the month with my paycheck would this be all a DJ needs to get started making tracks and playing small shows later? I know one of my friend's venues he owns has a PA system so all I would need to do is plugin in these two boards and I would be set like any other DJ? I also have a macbook pro.

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/506 Maschine Studio
    https://store.djtechtools.com/products/812 Traktor Kontrol S8
    https://store.djtechtools.com/products/415 V-MODA M-100 Headphones
    Thanks!

Tech Guru

Over kill. Get a traktor s2 and learn the basics first, or a cheap set of cdj's and a mixer. It's worth buying decent headphones though.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    Over kill. Get a traktor s2 and learn the basics first, or a cheap set of cdj's and a mixer. It's worth buying decent headphones though.
    ^^^ exactly. scope out the used market on this forum for an affordable mixer/controller to get practice on. I find the Machine not be my cup of tea, id get a solid DAW with solid plugins and a used MPC/MPK. Definitely get good headphones too, but not too nice, a DJ's headphones have a limited life expectancy.

I agree it's overkill, and you're likely to be swimming in stuff you don't understand that way. Most people crawl before they walk, and this is no different.

That being said, there's no reason you can't learn the basics with an S8....it'd just (probably) be frustrating to try and learn everything at once.

Also, I don't see any way to actually listen to what you're doing. The headphones are generally for listening to things that you don't want to go over the speakers yet (e.g., "Which track do I play next?", or if you're beatmatching by ear...that). So, you do need speakers of some kind to practice on. That being said, the computer speakers you probably already own work, but your laptop speakers will not.

As far as the production side of things, yes...Maschine Studio is "everything" you need...if the way it works happens to fit with the way you think....but if you're starting from scratch (which you seem to be), assume that it'll be insanely slow going.

It's not like DJing or producing is actually easy, and you seem to think it's the kind of thing where you just buy the tools and do it. That is not the case.