using an external mixer with virtual dj 8
    Tech Wizard

Default using an external mixer with virtual dj 8

hello, im trying to use an external mixer (regular mixer) to use with virtual dj but im getting confused here.

I wanna be able to use the crossfader to switch between tracks, then i wanna use that signal to send it to reaper via rea-route, to record some cuts over a beat.

I got everything to work exept the mixer part. It doesnt react at all in virtual dj, so rea route record the scratches but not the mixer.

Im using an audio4 dj soundcard.

Hoping some experts can help out to get the set up right. How would you go about doing that?

Thanks !

You should be able to send the decks to seperate outs on the mixer. Deck a to 1-2, deck b to 3-4 etc... at least that's how it's done in traktor. Then you would send the outs of. Mixer to a recording device or speaker

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    You should be able to send the decks to seperate outs on the mixer. Deck a to 1-2, deck b to 3-4 etc... at least that's how it's done in traktor. Then you would send the outs of. Mixer to a recording device or speaker
    thanks for trying to help but your directions are abit to general for a new guy like me.

still thank you for responding
    cheers

Tech Wizard

any one else with suggestions (please be detailed)

im using rearoute for reaper i get the signal in from virtual dj but the mixer doesnt interact at all!! its so freaking annoying i cant figure it out

Mate, external mixing mode means any mixer controls inside your software are overridden by the mixer. Transport controls e.g Play/pause, cue points etc you will need either a lightning fast mouse finger or a midi controller.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I don't use VDJ, so this is theortical, but with the audio 4, you should sent the deck one to one of the soundcard channels, send deck 2 to another soundcard channel. Then phono the corresponding audio outputs to the appropriate mixer input channels. Consider a little midi device for basic transport controls, make it much simpler.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

How many channels have you got on your mixer? Are you using ANY of the inputs on your A4 right now?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj