werd!!
I didn’t think it made much of a difference until I was playing at a bar with a decent sound system. I became concerned about the sound quality because it all just sounded too muddled. As it turns out one of the DJs was playing 192 files and it almost sounded as if it was coming out of an old boom box. When I played my stuff at 320 it had a much nicer sound.
320’s, Wavs or FLAC for djing. 192’s are fine for ipods ![]()
i hope,
i really do,
that thats a joke
or youtube!..LOL hell no vinyl or cd rips baby!
+1
I was just about to write almost the same thing!
Sorry for stealing your thunder ![]()
stfu we know youre thor…
My experience is that the differences are amplified a lot over big PAs. At volume small differences become much more apparent, especially when there’s good stereo spread and the gear is of quality.
I’ve done A/B testing with friends over club PAs and they the lower quality MP3s most of the time.
Wow thanks for all the advice. I mean whenever I spun somewhere, it was always on some tech’s so I never worried about sound quality with the exception I kept my records clean and lint free. But now if I burn a CD of a mix I’m doing will I still have the same problem?
i’ve got a few tunes by the revenge in 192 and they sound pretty bloody amazing - a lot better than some of my 320 or vinyls. but that guy is a mad producer ![]()
I’ve run a whole bunch of old tracks around 192-220 kbps through platinum notes and they come out pretty good. Don’t use PN any more as it doesn’t work in win 7 anyway .Our first show i used a mix of 320’s and lower quality stuff and didn’t notice any real difference through a 10k system (shit speakers levels everything out) for jams i don’t worry so much about qualities but for recordings its 320’s all the way ![]()
its vinyl dammit not vinylS!
the next question is… is 320 mp3 ok to play over a good pa? I only buy wav since sometime, but I have a lot of “old” 320 mp3 and I’m ask myself everytime I play them I I should buy them again as wav. I only have access to good studio monitors and headphones so I can’t to real a/b tests over a good and loud PA. I’m curious what you think.
yes 320 mp3 are fine to play on pa systems. Word from the wise…
“ROCK WHAT YOU GOT”
If I had to guess I would say less than 10% of the DJ community use wav’s when playing out.
Definitely. And if you saw the pictures 320’s are 99% perfect copies. I’m not too worried about not picking up that guitarist fart in the background.
Unfortunately, there’s a pretty big aural difference when comparing 320 to wav using the same track. Don’t get me wrong, most of my digital collection is 320 but if space & personal time were unlimited I’d definitely redigitize my collection in wav format. I will buy .wav’s when I really like the track and think it’s sonically deserving. If you do an entire set with 320 MP3’s no one could tell. Even if you throw in a few .wavs I bet no one could tell which was which but if you play the same track in both formats one can definitely tell the difference. So take it all with a grain of salt but if I had my druthers I’d play only wav’s.
You definitely hear a difference, but when uploading to websites like Mixcloud I mostly downgrade the mixes tot 192 kbps to save some mb’s. so for posting on Facebook etc it doesnt mather that much. But in club environments i would never use <320 kbps..