About Thunderbolt, the new Macbook connection

it would be for me too, however the fact that they’ve dropped nvidia graphics is a deal breaker for me as we use premiere pr5o cs5 and after effects cs5 which use nvidia’s cuda cores for its mercury engine (hardware rendering acceleration).

that was pretty much the whole reason i jumped ship over to mac’s, as it was hard to find a pc laptop with compatible nvidia graphics.. everything i found was either intel graphics based or ati/amd…

yeah no new camera’s come to mind with thunderbolt, but i think JesC was referring more to the use of thunderbolt harddrives for video work rather than the cameras themselves. besides, the recording media of current cameras would be a bottleneck for thunderbolt transfer speeds.

its vhs vs betamax
its super cd vs dvd
its blueray vs hd dvd

what will manufactures put on there laptops
some will go usb 3.0
some will go thunderbolt
some will have both

thunderbolt is better but a fair bit more expensive

usb 3.0 is cheaper not as fast but every1 knows what usb is

what do you rekon next years laptops will have

small correction…its 20 gbps…the new MBP’s thunderbolt wires are actually 2 lightpeak so it is 20

What I really think this is going to be is what USB was to peripheral connections when it came out.

Can you remember before USB?

Was that peripheral device a serial connection, printer port, PS/2 port, game port, midi port, rj-45, console… and so on and so on.

USB really cleaned things up and made the peripheral world a much more enjoyable experience…

Plug and Play comes to mind.

I think that Light Peak/ThunderBolt is going to be a close analogy of what USB was when it came out.

And if so… I only see good things for our future.

i think the 2011 13 " model will be great for the future 1 port of each before they all disappear for thunderbolt …so you could still keep and use old hardware i guess.

And this stuff will sell like hot breads in 1 years.

nice technology.. will be interesting to see how they push this to it’s limits

Usb 3.0 simple as.

For you guys not seeing a difference between USB 3 and Light Peak, USB 3 has half the transfer speed of Light Peak from what I’ve read.

Yeah I know man, but haters just gotta hate something.

Or they feel useless, and under appreciated.

What I really hope for TB to bring to the Mac is a port replicator/docking station solution.

I will really be happy if I could just plug two cables (since the power is separate) and have all my peripherals connected at my desks. Like on the dell latitudes and thinkpads and all other enterprise grade laptops …

… one day maybe :slight_smile: at least this is getting it closer …

Why do you always have to get so personal? Chill down a bit will ya. It doesn’t even make any sense at all.

It’s not always the best technology that wins (no one here is even denying that TB is superior to USB3.0), it’s the one that people want to pay for. They have known USB for so long now, and the average consumer doesn’t really need TB - correct me if I’m wrong though. They don’t do video editing, they don’t have external monitors hooked up to their setup, …

If TB is indeed a lot more expensive, it’s going to have a hard time breaking through. Apple is booming like never before though, it may just supply that necessary boost.

To avoid nitpicking: replace TB with LP wherever you want to.

because he embodies everything I despise about most people from south orange county. Specifically wow players. And for the record I say that as a former blizzard employee.

If your pointing that at me.

I don’t hate it i just quiet simply can’t see it becoming a standard in most laptops and i believe we won’t see any benefit from it in the near future. Usb 3.0 is going to come first manufactures already have 3.0 products in the pipeline but i haven’t heard any light peak products being even developed.

I honestly believe that all technology is good technology.

i will buy TB products for sure !!! cant wait for the UAD card to be TB (its on its way) the firewire version didn’t rely took off. I could have my big screen, my external HD to record my sessions, my backup HD, a sound card, DPS processing and much more all in 1 port. !!! high end user will definitely use it everyday.

Yes, UA is going to be on the TB wagon too, but to say the firewire version didn’t take off…umm..most stores haven’t even received them in stock! They just announced them a month ago. LOL!

Humor.

The group I was referring to were the quote: “Haters”

“Don’t hate the player, hate the game”

Hater: One who displays their own distaste, no matter how unfounded, on any and all subjects they may find to be distasteful.

So, to clarify, I was referring to the hater stereotype.

To clarify further, I was referring to a completely intangible concept.

How that is a “personal” attack on anyone, I really fail to see.

If you want to IMPLY that I was referring to you, by getting unnecessarily offended, there is not much I can do about that, maybe trying looking for the good things in life, instead of being such a hater.

I do believe the word your looking for is opinion?? Its like an asshole everyone has one.

Maybe i did pick you up wrong but im not a hater just giving my opinion which i am quiet entitled to do and if thats being a hater so be it…

Guess what…

If you don’t think of yourself as a hater, then I was not referring to you at all.

One can express their opinions all day long with ought expressing one iota of “hate”…

Again… I wasn’t specifically referring to ANY-one in this thread, or anyone in this forum for that matter.

I was merely expressing my opinion (witch I guess I’m entitled to?) on the, quote: “Hater”.

I was also stating that:

If you feel SO STRONGLY that you are indeed a hater, that my statement offended you, maybe some introspection is in order.

…and I’m the one making personal attacks…

“lulz”

Jeez Ladies, Keep calm and carry on. If I wanted to watch perfectly good threads turn into slapping contests Id go back to the Serato forums