Does using a controller not make you a dj?

Old school individuals will always look down upon whatever new school equipment is brought into the field. It’s the way it goes. They don’t like change, and consider their way (the older way) better. It’s human nature to feel that way.

I personally don’t care what a DJ uses a long as they know how to rock the dance floor. End of story.

And right they were, but controllers are alright.

:laughing:

You’re guilty of stereotyping a whole bunch of people with this, just like the people that are having a go at the OP.

I would call myself an “old school individual”. I’m in my 40s. I’ve been DJing on and off since the mid-80s. While I do prefer using turntables, I also use a DVS. I just bought a Z2 mixer. I judge mix DJs by their passion for DJing and mixes (if they’re on forums) or by their skill at rocking crowds (if I get to see them DJ live) - nothing more, nothing less.

well I played a set last night and was the only dj not using cdj’s and and completly packed the dance floor compared to other dj’s playin that in that room. I love playing vynil but can just do so much more with a digital setup.

I started dj’ing again after a long time. No more than a bedroom dj but perhaps some day…

At first the sync button looked like a great addition to the vinyl and beat matching in the early years. But after learning the possibilites the controller (DDJ-T1) and Traktor, the sync button and quantesizing were more a pain in the buttt than being of any use. So the sync and quant are never touched since…

I think the whole controller prejudice is coming to an end.

But, the situation as a whole had led to; more DJ’s and DJ’s getting paid less. Oh well, can’t be helped.

The only issue that still remains with controllers is how intrusive/huge they are. For instance this local DJ uses an NS7… That thing is massive, and at some of the smaller places we all play at, I hear other DJs that are using either CDj’s or other set-ups complain about how when he comes on it’s this gigantic coffin with an NS7 in it that requires everything on the DJ table to rearranged, unplugged to be moved, and just a general hassle.

But in the end it’s all about the sets you play, your knowledge of djing and music. My first gig was the other day and I opened for an older much more experienced DJ. In my town there is quite a handful of DJs, and I am by far the youngest (aside from your odd bedroom DJ) at their skill level. So for me I felt hopeless as I had little connections and I just turned 18 two weeks ago, so I felt like I had a lot of ground to cover to start getting gigs.

But when I opened for this guy, we discussed the art of opening, he complains (Well, not really complains but brought up) that all the local DJs want to play banger after banger and it has really ruined the journey of a DJ night. And I totally agree with this, always have. And he liked that, thought I played an awesome set that first night, and here I am getting booked at 18+ local venues with his help being 6, 7 years younger than a lot of other DJ’s I’m competing with.

Just something to think about, that with the amount of DJ’s around, it’s more important what sort of set you play based on who you are playing to, who is next in said lineup, and just feeling things out rather than what gear you use.

I didn’t read all post so don’t know if anyone say this. once there were no direct drive turntable so are vinyl DJ now cheeting because their TT’s have a more acurate and stedy spinning?

That argument died 5 years ago. They’ll get over it.

This is not directed at you, just quoting your response.

See, if you post this here or ask other controller DJ’s this question, you’ll get this type of response. While I do agree some that controllers are being more accepted than before, I offer a view from the “other side” the folks who barely know about controllers.

Check out this link:

It’s a pretty popular company, with some fairly established DJ’s on their line up. Check out what EVERY DJ in their pictures is using…and all of these gigs could easily be played with a controller. There is a sense of legitimacy when folks see 1200’s vs. a controller, and I’d argue that is why every picture they’ve used is with 1200’s.

There’s still quite a bit of ground for controllers to be on even par with CDJ’s or 1200’s.

Sorry, wasn’t intending to stereotype. I was merely pointing out a general trends that applies to a lot of aspects of life, not just djing. I don’t mean to say that old school people aren’t open-minded; it’s just that the old school vs. new school clash seems to be a common thing in our world.

The type of controller seems to make a difference. Slam belt out techno using X1s F1s & Allen & Heath mixers. They look just as pro as they did when I used to see them playing off vinyl or CDJs. I don’t think they’d look anywhere near as pro, in fact I think they would look a bit silly, if they were stood there in the main room at Space with an S4 (& this is coming from someone who uses an S4).

Douche: “You’re not a real dj”

Answer: “you’re right, I’m not… I’ll continue not dj’ing then”. turns around and keeps on going

I do wonder who has actually just backed out of the conversation.

The prejudice definitely comes from the hours and hours and hours a TT DJ put into learning how to mix and beatmatch compared to hitting a button. Also the investment of buying a controller for $300 vs. buying 2 $300 TTs, a $300 mixer, and all the vinyl to go along with it. So when someone claimed to be DJ, they had the equipment, they had the practice time and skill to be called a DJ and it was evident. Now a guy buys a controller, has an itunes library and is calling himself a DJ. This is why there are so many “old skool” DJs annoyed and also because of the competivness and snobbery that will always exist.

I can tell you though that the majority of DJs that look down upon controllers are not the top tier in the DJ world. Top DJs are actually more open to controllers because they understand that its not about the tools you use to manipulate the music, its how you use those tools to manipulate the music. In the end its always about the music.

I hate to go against the grain here, but I’d be ashamed of myself to play at a serious party with a controller only setup.
But that’s probably just me.

S4 - £699
Macbook Pro - ~£1400

I kind of agree with this. A modular set up (think Hawtin, Dubfire, Magda) would be OK. But rocking an S4 in a top club would look ridiculous imo.

There 's a grey area here. Mixing with an S4 is fine, I just don’t want to be that guy that shows up at the booth that asks “hey bro, can you move these CDJs ? I got no place to put my controller”

The thing that nearly all DVS guys forget is that their turntables / CDJ’s are in fact, controllers.

True. It looks more professional though. I wish it wasn’t the case, I use an S4 myself, but even I would think it looked ridiculous if I went to see some big name DJ & he was playing off an S4.

Don’t forget - when CDJ’s are used, they are in a way, EMULATING Turntables. Certainly, CDJ’s in HID mode can be considered controllers.

But Turntables? NEVER!!!

You’re using timecode records to control your computer software internally. DVS makes your turntables nothing more than big, heavy controllers.