Midi-fighter midi signals

Yeah… whether or not the midifighter is sending out these mystery notes is, well, a mystery to me, but in any case they don’t seem to have any corresponding mapping in the 1.0.2 or 1.0.3 tsi. For the time being, the mystery note issue is irrelevant.

It’s possible that the newest firmware added the ability for the midifighter to send out these mystery notes and a mapping that makes use of them just hasn’t been released yet.

This is possible, yes. In fact, on my MF Pro, only one of the combos seems to do anything. I didn’t look into the mapping, but I guess that they need to be updated to include the full set of combos.

would be interesting to see what a midifighter outputs in midi when a supercombo is activated. anyone want to hook up a midifighter to midiox?

I don’t have to, I’m familiar enough with the code to know what they are. I won’t say since Midifidler said it was a secret :wink: but you can check for yourself:

midifighter.c lines 742 through 781 shows the MIDI notes and combo.c shows the combos.

Also, you can see the MIDI map (minus the combos) that the Midifighters use here. So you can see where the combos fit in.

what I’m wondering is if the supercombos send a completely different midi cc when all 4 arcade buttons are pressed down… I guess I’ll have to go through the code and check for myself! (unless you wanna pm me…)

:slight_smile:

thanks for the pm :slight_smile:

it still doesn’t really explain how, for example, the beatmasher supercombo works. When you press all 4 buttons down, it triggers the beatmasher supercombo which causes the transpose pitch to sweep down. The fact that it sweeps down means there must be more to the supercombo than just sending an additional midi CC#.

any thoughts? or am I horribly misunderstanding how it all works…!

Ok since Chris never responded, initially the super combos where done as part of the mapping, we then added these into the firmware however the current MF Classic IG mapping still uses the mapping implementation whereas the Pro mappings use the firmware implementation.

So you should be able to remap any Midi controller to work with the original IG mapping.

You can see what notes the firmware implementation of the super combos sends out by using MIDI-OX

Sorry - I thought the Classic IG mapping was now also using the firmware implementation.

It is a misunderstanding though not a horribly one :slight_smile:

It is made by making a command for effect amount with interaction mode “dec” (decrese) and then ticking auto repeat.

Ok, just to clarify things (although I think it has probably been explained already) here is what is going on with the Instant Grat mapping and the Supercombos.

The original Instant Gratification mapping (MF Instant Gratification Mapping v1.0.3) is the first time that the idea of Supercombos was brought up and I figured out a way to emulate specific button combinations which result in a “Supercombo” effect being triggered. This was all accomplished within the MIDI mapping but it took basically every possible modifier state to do so. The Instant Gratification mapping has not been updated to changed the Supercombos to be triggered via firmware.

Starting with the MF Pro mappings, the “Supercombos” were changed from being activated via modifiers to being activated via firmware. This firmware change was about when the first Midi Fighter update software was released (not the new config tool). This free’ed up a lot of modifiers in MIDI mapping and made it so each Supercombo’s effects were triggered by a single MIDI note that gets sent out when the Supercombo is correctly triggered. The Supercombos that are now in the firmware are triggered in the same manner as they were in the original Instant Grat mapping.

Some people may be getting confused because even when a Supercombo is triggered by a single MIDI note (like in the new firmware for the MF Pro mappings), there are several MIDI input commands in the mapping which create the “Supercombo” effect sound. I am not going to explain how those all work; but for example, the all beatmasher transpose sweep effect is accomplished by decreasing the rate of the effect based on how long you hold down the Supercombo (which technically is multiple auto repeating Dec effect amount commands of various sizes).

I hope this clarifies things for everyone. In summary, the original Instant Grat mapping uses modifiers to trigger the Supercombos, in some some newer mappings (like the MF Pro) the combos are triggered via special Supercombo MIDI notes which are in the firmware.

with PAD+CC+PC modes you can quickly switch between 3 banks of 8 pads. PC mode isn’t usable without middleware but PAD+CC modes are.

also i released a version of my midimasher the other week that emulated the midifighter in 4banks mode on an lpd8 - works pretty well. ofc even cooler if u have two lpd8’s… then can be pushed together and work without needing to switch banks.