A fucking joke.
Where is the best franchise to buy from in the states… Im working in the gulf of mexico now, will have a day in houston on the way home, try to see if i can pick one up… Best buy??? or best ordering straight from apple online?
This, same applies to firewire. There won’t be a smile on your face when you show up to a gig and your adaptor is nowhere to be found but hey, retina graphics \o/.
This, same applies to firewire.[/QUOTE]
Yeah…I don’t care the least bit about Ethernet at the moment. Firewire is a big loss…but oddly enough…it’s only on the top-end model and the Airs that already dropped it. I think the biggest loss is for amateur video……unless there are better ways to capture and transfer huge files than firewire.
I guess they nodded to all the idiots shooting HD video onto SD cards in SLRs that suck at it. Whatever.
Getting closer to the Macbook Air becoming a real computer, though…it’d probably already cut it with the top-end processor and ram and a real SSD from OWC, though I’d limit you to USB drives……which suck. At least, until more Thunderbolt stuff with 2 ports comes out……
Apple has brick and mortar stores nearly everywhere in the states.
Spank you hairy crutch, ill keep my eyes open for the “bricks and mortor”
There will always be people that get shafted with changes like these. NO CD ROM DRIVE? NO ETHERNET? The majority of people don’t use either. Kinda sucks for people like us that actually need both. Idk what I would do if I only had 2 usb ports to work with. 4 on my HP is a godsend. ![]()
I really love this new design but you gotta admit calling it a Pro machine that has no user upgradeable parts is hard to swallow. Right now my MBP has a OWC 128gb SSD (Sata 3) and a 1 TB secondary drive that acts as my music storage. With these new pro’s I’d be screwed and would have to carry an external HD with tunes which would take up a valuable port.
This clearly is the route that Apple is going, the Air and the MacBook Pro Retina will be become their major focus. I wonder if the real pro will exist as a niche product for a long time. Or until flash storage comes down enough in price that 1 TB of flash storage wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg.
The I/O is far from an annoyance. Inexcusable is more my word. The 2 USBs better be 3.0 as opposed to 2 (didn’t see which, might’ve skipped) and the lack of an ethernet port is all the more ridiculous. Kudos for moving screen resolution tech along, but CD technology IMO will not be dead by the time this thing reaches the end of its lifespan. Close, but not completely. Lack of FireWire? Meh, that’s what USB 3.0 is for. In the realms of DJing I haven’t encountered much hardware that runs on firewire, with the exception of external HDs. If you ask me, this is a typical Apple product. Amazing on the features, while running a laughable hardware arsenal.
EDIT: Went back in and really picked apart the timeline. Good to see 3.0 USB, but I stand by my “typical Apple product” quote. Price does not reflect the hardware even remotely. Still able to build a beast of a custom PC for half the price. However, I can’t help but be woo’d by the sheer amount of sexiness.
Start looking in the higher end not sponsored booths and you will find firewire soundcards ruling the place. It’s not only about speed, it’s also due to the maschine sharing the internal hub with other components.
To you FW is irrelevant, to me disc technology is. Everyone has different needs.
Apple are making Thunderbolt Ethernet and FireWire adaptors. Extra cost yes, but still there to fill those probably unused Thunderbolt ports for now.
They’d better be doing lots more with those thunderbolt ports now (making more adapters and such).
But damn that thing looks sexy. But the price…dayum even more![]()
The problem ı didnt lik that if you want to use the Retina Display you have to buy the 2199 $ model which is only 15 inch and you can have the HDMI as well.Or else the macbook pro that we use now doesnt changed that much.Thats why ı am thinking right now to upgrade my RAM and change my HDD to SSD.Boom new macbook pro ![]()
But the Mountain Lion is awesome and ı loved it.I will purchase it the first day it comes to Mac Store.
I loved the IOS 6 as well ı wish ı have an iphone than ı can use the all features but ı have a ipod touch 4G but it is still AWESOME:
Yeah for strictly doing maybe the older style MBP is a better bet, buy the cheapest config, upgrade RAM and SSD yourself and a optical bay hard drive mount and put original drive in their.
For video though, omg the new one is a thing of beauty
[quote=“NotSoSiniSter, post:27, topic:43290, username:NotSoSiniSter”]
Idk what I would do if I only had 2 usb ports to work with. 4 on my HP is a godsend. ![]()
[/quote]Buy a USB hub.
BTW, even with 4 USB ports…at home, I’d need a hub. 4 will barely run what I carry around all the time in my trunk, and only if one of them is a separate root hub from the others…and I’d bet money they’re all on the same one.
[quote=“DJ Sunshine, post:29, topic:43290, username:DJ_Sunshine”]
The I/O is…Inexcusable…The 2 USBs better be 3.0
[/quote]
and yes, they are. What uses USB 3.0 other than overpriced hard drives?
[quote=“DJ Sunshine, post:29, topic:43290, username:DJ_Sunshine”]
Kudos for moving screen resolution tech along,
[/quote]Finally there’s a display out there that’s as good as the Trinitron I bought in 1999.
[quote=“DJ Sunshine, post:29, topic:43290, username:DJ_Sunshine”]
CD technology IMO will not be dead by the time this thing reaches the end of its lifespan.
[/quote]For normal people, CD technology has been dead for a long time. The only thing it’s even half viable for is playing DVDs.
[quote=“DJ Sunshine, post:29, topic:43290, username:DJ_Sunshine”]
Lack of FireWire? Meh, that’s what USB 3.0 is for. In the realms of DJing I haven’t encountered much hardware that runs on firewire, with the exception of external HDs.
[/quote]And half-decent audio interfaces that don’t use CPU just sitting there, don’t need to be on their own root hub (which most laptops can’t do without a dedicated USB card…that most laptops don’t have an expansion slot for), and don’t occasionally require restarts on Lion.
Also…I obviously haven’t used USB 3.0, but if you’ve never used a FW800 hard drive and are using USB…you don’t know what you’re missing. The difference is easily night & day. USB hard drives aren’t worth using.
[quote=“DJWORX, post:31, topic:43290, username:DJWORX”]
Apple are making Thunderbolt Ethernet and FireWire adaptors. Extra cost yes, but still there to fill those probably unused Thunderbolt ports for now.
[/quote]Do any of them daisy chain yet? I use my Thunderbolt port for my display, and I’m not about to buy a crappy Apple glossy display for a grand just to be able to plug in other stuff.
I seriously doubt there are no user upgradable parts on the new Retina MBP. Did they actually say that in the speach or are you assuming, 'cuz the Macbook Air has user-upgradeable parts. Apparently the RAM is actually attached to the board, but the flash storage is upgradable at least…which is good because Apple’s SSDs are slow.
After talking to people…I’m pretty sure I’m going to try out an 11" MBA as soon as someone comes out with a Thunderbolt FireWire adapter that allows you to daisy-chain thunderbolt devices…Belkin seems like they’ll be first to market with their dock that comes out in September…which I’ll be buying anyway. I just hope that USB 3.0 actually is backwards compatible (I have no faith in USB chipset manufacturers).
With no possible way to upgrade SSD/HDD and RAM in the new Retnia models this product really falls short for me. I was all ready hand over my 2500$ to Apple and all they needed to do was create an updated model w/ retnia display and a HDD option. Then swap the HDD to the optical bay, replace w/ SSD and RAM upgrade and bingo, best MBP one could want. Why apple why…
ı think the new Retina model is absolutly awesome but the only problem ı see that the flash storage is not that much for the price your are giving it to.But anyways ı like itt.
When ı look for the dj business ı am still a huge fan of 13.3 which is really perfect for our job.
Once again…did they actually say explicitly that the Retina MBP wasn’t upgradeable? Because the MBA isn’t supposed to be and part of it still is…
What are the USB specs for the updated MBP? I tried looking on the apple site to no avail. But, if they are USB3/2 spec how is NI hardware going to work? IME attempting to plug any NI hardware into a USB 3/2 port causes serious problems.
At this point, it’s an assumption more than anything. But given the soldered nature of the RAM, and MBA-like rear panel, I’d say that it’s a safe bet. I suppose anything is if you’re happy to throw away a warranty. Apple would rather that you buy a Thunderbolt drive than mess around inside a carefully designed laptop. Granted, 256Gb isn’t really enough for the habits of modern DJs. But 768Gb?
For the price difference, I’d be inclined to add a Thunderbolt external drive.