S4 vs VCI-400 Special Edition question (i.e. continuing to flog a dead horse)

Consider the Denon MC6000 then. It’s a tad bit cramped, but the build quality is excellent. Only thing I didn’t like was the lack of a filter knob, but you can just map an FX to it.

ONE person received 13 units. Seems to me like a heavy case of user misuse. But let’s face it, the s4 is defiantly not the best build to be slamming faders and mashing buttons with.

Garrick have you considered purchasing a traktor certified mixer? I mean since you are adding cdjs or turntables.

I see almost new S4s being sold at around the $600 so I’m not too worried about that. I’m searching like mad for DJ shops near me so I can go and try these controllers!

Guitar center? They’re everywhere. Or Sam Ash maybe.

I’m not intending to add CDJs or turntables in the long run at this point. The club I’m at has a spare couple CDJs floating around and a lot of CDs to hand. It was just a thought that could make me more flexible

How exactly do you “misuse” something during the first few minutes it comes out of the box in front of several NI staff at their headquarters in Berlin?

I had no idea that occurred to all 13, didn’t really read too deep into it just skimmed it.

I can vouch for the build quality on the mc6000 it feels truly professional

VCI-400… It’s open enought to grow with you as you might move between software packages, also if you get into production down the Ableton road then you’ll find there are some amazing mappings on this site for that. Rick Fresco is a legend for the mapping he put together.

Ummm… Ok so this is proof that 100% of s4s sold are faulty?

No

Chances are you buy an s4 and it’ll work perfectly.

The a+h db4 had nuff issues, doesn’t mean all units are fucked and no one should get it?

You can’t just make up your own statement, then disprove it to further your own argument.
The S4 has proven to be of poor build quality time and again. Comparing it to a DB4 is just even more riduculous.

If you buy an S4, chances are there’ll be a flaw somewhere on the device, which may or may not be significant. The buttons on it are poor compared to the X1 (especially the small circular ones) and the phono pre-amps are far too weak. Jog wheels are terrible compared to most of the competition and are only held up by NI blocking proper jog wheel integration from most 3rd party controllers.

There’s very little reason to choose the S4 now when there are so many better alternatives available.

Okay guys, chill. The S4 looks great and is something that a lot of new DJs would be interested buy if thy use traktor because its a seamless integration. But by the sounds of it they’ve had a couple of faulty batches made and that’s a worry. It might not be true of all S4s and I hope it isn’t (because as I said, it looks like a cracking controller). But if a couple batches have been made faulty and they haven’t recalled them, who knows who’s going to get a jammy one?

That’s awesome, I know a couple of people that use ableton and if I can go jam with then that would be sick. I’ve found a shop that does some vestex, NI, pioneer and others all in the same place, I just need I wait to go home from uni on a couple weeks before I can get there. Does anyone else have any suggestions on good equipment around that price range? Especially to go with a midi fighter 3D?

My S4 is flawless.