8GB RAM vs 4GB.. is it really worth it?

I think it would be a good idea if maybe you try to limit that a little more while on here.

As was said.
32bit windows whether XP or 7 any flavor can’t see more than 3.8GB.

64bit can see much, much more.
Get as much as you can.
Even if you don’t use it, the bloated OS code will.

thanks for convincing me…

douche…

That was slightly unnecessary Keith.

you’re right…

i’m out of this thread…i forget i don’t need to bother myself with this mindset…

sorry peeps…

i upgraded to 8gb on my 2.8ghz MBP. Not for traktor though, for Logic :stuck_out_tongue:

I never came close to maxing out with 4gb (using traktor) but I went up to 8 for logic to make sure i wouldnt have too many issues

do you run logic in 64 bit mode? does all your plugins work the same?

i never tried running logic in 64 bit mode but as far as i know there are some limitations (eg no rewiring, no rex files, no opening of certain software instruments etc) con you confirm this? just curious

As I read on Lifehacker recently, unless you do a lot of audio/video editing or play the latest video games 4GB should be enough.

I forgot to mention, I do do a load of abletoning. but never really had much of a problem on my iMac which runs with 4gb. To be honest, all this 32v64bit malarky seems very somplicated when it comes to running plugins etc, I think i’ll just stick with 4.

plus sidenote - anyone got experience with that seagate solid state/hard drive hybrid? like 500gb HDD and 8gb solid state, puts launch programs on SSD and the rest on HDD.. sound useful?

I did ran out of RAM (despite having 8gb) a couple of weeks ago, but I was batch processing 50+ large files in Audition :smiley:

Got a spinning beachball on Audition till it finished but the rest of the system was responsive :slight_smile:

Nope.

Think of it like this…

The CPU is the engine…the RAM is the gas…petrol.

The HDD is the amount of people that can fit in the car.

So you can have a Awesome powerful engine, but if your gas is no good…you not going fast.

Too many people in your car will make it slow too.

:slight_smile:

Basically, the ram help speed up the process the CPU does.
The HDD should be fast in order to keep up with the speed of the CPU and RAM.

Else it will only be as fast as the slowest component.

:slight_smile:

I don’t think that’s a very good metaphor. I think I’d have it more like the RAM is the seats in the car. More seats you can transport more stuff, but it doesn’t really matter if your car has 4 or 8 seats when there’s only 3 people in your family.

Man, no one geeking out over the amount of RAM super computers have. Bummer. :disappointed:

LOL

OK mate…then we have to make it a van…not a car.

HDD is usually associated with Space. So the inside of the car is the space.

The RAM is what speed the whole deal up…I would say NOS…but its not really is it.

Its my metaphor man…make your own!

:wink:

No it’s like the CPU is an ice cream and the RAM is a small child about to drop the scoop out of the cone which is the motherboard and the internet is like the big sister who won’t share hers even though she got a double scoop because she’s mean like that.

I think you the small child…

And I will do your motherboard…with my ice-cream.

:slight_smile:

HAHAHAHA

It’s ok I’ll just clean it up.

No issues yet. You can switch between 32 and 64 really easy anyway. There is also a 32bit bridge for plugins in 64 mode but its a bit temperamental apparently. Im still very new to Logic so yeah ask me again in a few more months haha

whoah… I ask a reasonable question and you insult me, nice behavior. Maybe yesterday just wasnt your day…

i do not know what you mean with " this mindset" . Can you explain that to me please?

thanks :slight_smile:

If you’re running 64 bit on your OS and making sure that the audio programs you use are 64bit you should def consider getting 8 gigs.

Why?