8GB RAM vs 4GB.. is it really worth it?

I have 8 gigs in my MBP, but since I installed it along with my SSD I can’t really say how much that alone improved performance. The both of them together though, oh boy. Beast of a machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

worth it at that price… im thinkin about upgrading from 4 to 8gb myself.

I’m always stunned by how cheap storage and memory are these days…

Hard drives go for so little, I totally agree. £71 i think I paid for the 750GB WD I have in my optibay, and if you don’t care about the brand name you can get that for less.

i have 8gb in my 13" mbp & a hybrid ssd HD. I could notice the difference under heavy usage with ableton, iMovie (rendering video), serious tho for simply dj-ing with traktor or serato…2gb is good, 4gb is great. 8gb overkill.

My middle name!

no such thing as too much ram,
more more moar Moar MOAR!!!

erm! yeah, ram is your workspace in a comp, we can all work in cramped conditions, but having elbow room is nice, software likes the same, it means less disc caching (virtual memory) so all in all ,it leaves your data bus running smoother. But if you run of batteries while gigging, that ram needs power, and more ram will shorten the time you get from a full charge.

just upgraded my 2010 macbook pro (13 inch) to 8GB
(Strontium Mac Ram - 4GB DDR3 1066mhz X 2)

holy shit its fast!!!
I really didnt expect to notice overall speed boost but i did!
I opened up an ableton session (50 tracks, fully loaded with plug ins) previously it would lag the shit out of my macbook pro, now it seems pretty stable and snappy, which i dont understand why, i thought ableton suite 8 runs in 32 bit mode?

anyhow im very happy with my 8GB upgraded, well worth the price - and they are pretty cheap, got mine for $70 SGD for the pair (less than $50 USD converted)

Upped the standard 4GB on ASUS NJ61 (W7 64bit) last week. This is a dedicated DJing machine - TP2, KS4 software iTunes, Nero and stripped down Windows. I’d love to say it made a difference, but in all honesty I can’t. Certainly had a ‘placebo effect’ when I gigged on the weekend :slight_smile:

on mine it seems like its not just the placebo effect, i opened the same session file in ableton previously (with 4GB ram) and it was slow as hell, laggy, and barely can play the session properly, after the 8GB ram upgrade it seems like it is handling it a lot better

ableton still run on 32 bit tho right? im trying to think of how this works

its a cheap enough upgrade that you might as well do it and see how you get on.

but the best 2 upgrades are generally considered to be a faster CPU and/or a 2nd gen Sandforce (or equivalent) SSD.

Ram is one of the most cost effective upgrades you can make. However, if you don’t feel like you absolutely need the extra 4gb now, just wait a few months. Ram prices drop frequently so if you are on the fence, you can wait a while and upgrade for a small cost.

I was against it at first because I couldn’t see myself using up 4GB of RAM..
BUT I did it anyway.. $50 for 8GB.. not bad at all.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed is that my computer runs A LOT cooler. I have yet to see CPU A hit above 140*.

Other than that there isn’t much of a difference.. ableton seems to load plugins slightly faster.

All my tracks lately have been under 10 tracks, so I haven’t really got the chance to push it.

But, I’d say if you have $50 in your budget, go for it!

same here i got a pair of strontium high performance rams for just SGD$70 (less than $50 USD) - thats for 2x4GB DDR3 sticks

what did i do with the original 4gb ram? my iMac has two extra slots and i put them into my imac… and it WORKS! So now both my imac and my macbook pro has 8GB of ram for just $50… BARGAAAIN DEAAAAAL :smiley:

I don’t think it’s worth it right now.

I bought my new laptop at some point this summer with 4GB of ram. And I haven’t had a problem yet (even running Maschine in Logic with fairly big sessions). Would I notice a difference upgrading to 8? Maybe. Will I notice a difference upgrading to 16GB in 2 years when the price drops to something reasonable? YES.

Unless you really need it now, that’s what I’d do. And don’t buy it from Apple.

As for other comments…every halfway decent computer comes with 4GB of ram now…a good SSD is by far the best upgrade that I think you can make. A 128 GB Patriot Extreme 6G costs like $400 and change and just plain screams. Alternatives would be the high end OCZ and Intel drives, as far as I’m aware. I don’t think anything else was worth buying as of the summer, but things might have changed a bit.

In short…I’d buy a bigger SSD before I’d upgrade from 4GB of ram. Upgrading to 16GB of ram in a year or so will make an even bigger difference, especially when more music apps get upgraded to being 64-bit.

Also…if you’re using 32-bit apps, you will not see a difference b/t 4GB and 8GB…they can’t address that ram, so it’s like it doesn’t exist. That’s one serious consideration.

32bit OSes have a 4GB memory limit and yes there is some work arounds for Linux, nothing for Windows. The reason why is shows up less than 4GBs is that the OS reserves video memory space.

Windows users should be running a 64bit flavor if they want to use more than 4GBs of RAM.

Mac users do not have the 4GB memory limit issue.

And yes some motherboards have limited memory slots, limiting to how much you can physically upgrade.

My opinion has always been one of the more RAM the better. Disk access is the slowest part of any computer and once it starts swapping (caching data to the hard disk swap file), performance goes down the drain.

Honestly.. I’m not to sure SSD is worth the price..
Considering in a year it’ll be less than half it current price.
With RAM your computer can handle more..
SSD.. traktor will load 6ms faster.

I’m not computer savvy. Question for those of you who are. Is there something you guys do on, let’s say, a weekly/monthly basis to make your computer run faster? Sort of like a clean-up?

I have a Sony Z i5, 4GB ram, 128 gb SSD…btw upgrading my HDD is so expensive bc of the SSD!!!

An SSD won’t improve Traktor that much, true… but an SSD will massively improve your overall Windows/OSX experience. Everything loads so much quicker. When you switch back to a normal hard disk it feels so s-l-o-w