Broadcasting w. Traktor Pro

I literally just spent 5 minutes and got nicecast working on my macbook pro. Stupid simple program, and does exactly what you were looking for I believe. Something I’ve been planning on looking into as well, but just haven’t gotten around to yet.

Enjoyable.

Nicecast is a great program.

If you want to attach song-metadata (artist, title) to your Nicecast-stream use my Traktor Scrobbler.

www.ali.dj/traktor-scrobbler

Native instruments in all there wisdom embedded a dedicated broadcast client into Traktor

whats good for some (germans) isn’t always best for others unfortunately there isnt alot you can do about inside traktor itself

so the options your left with are.

A) Use Icecast! Icecast is probably the best FREE server software for streaming media.
Yes it takes a buttload of time to setup and perfect but the rewards are definitely worth the time it takes to set up.
especially if your hosting your own content on your own servers

Icecast can be used directly by compiling the source on a mac or downloading the setup.exe for windows
or by using a third party Icecast application

Nicecast is very good.

B) you can always stream everything from your audio outputs directly to a live stream site like Ustream.com or Justin.tv.

for this on a mac you’ll need SoundFlower(Audio) and Camtwist(Video)
on Pc im sure there are similar apps

tbh - I found icecast to be a heap of shit. Tried using it in Traktor 3 to no avail, largely as I needed to reencode on the fly from .ogg to .mp3 as 90% of the internet radio world uses the shoutcast protocol …

in this day and age, pretty much everyones computer can support both protocals and do already.

the bigger challenge you run into is bandwidth. home connections really arent setup to stream to more than a few listeners. you really need an icecast host server if you want to do something pretty regular. you can generally find icecast servers for rent for about 15 bucks a month on average for about a 100 listener stream at 192k per stream

Hey people :wink: Im broadcasting with IceCast… I have 1 question.. How can I hide the titles of the tracks ?

Should be possible in the Icecast-settings.

This is the default IceCast config file… I dont see the option to hide the track titles… :confused:

<!-- This config file contains a minimal set of configurable parameters,
and mostly just contains the things you need to change.  We created
this for those who got scared away from the rather large and heavily
commented icecast.xml.dist file. -->
<icecast>
<limits>
<sources>2</sources>
</limits>
<authentication>
<source-password>hackme</source-password>
<relay-password>hackme</relay-password>
<admin-user>admin</admin-user>
<admin-password>hackme</admin-password>
</authentication>

<hostname>localhost</hostname>
<listen-socket>
<port>8001</port>
</listen-socket>
<fileserve>1</fileserve>
<paths>
<logdir>./logs</logdir>
<webroot>./web</webroot>
<adminroot>./admin</adminroot>
<alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
</paths>
<logging>
<accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
<errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
<loglevel>3</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
</logging>
</icecast>

When I googled about this problem.. I found out that

[quote]if you are talking about mp3 then set to 0

karl.[/quote]

And this link shows this

<mount>
<mount-name>/example-complex.ogg</mount-name>
<username>othersource</username>
<password>hackmemore</password>
<max-listeners>1</max-listeners>
<max-listener-duration>3600</max-listener-duration>
<dump-file>/tmp/dump-example1.ogg</dump-file>
<intro>/intro.ogg</intro>
<fallback-mount>/example2.ogg</fallback-mount>
<fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
<fallback-when-full>1</fallback-when-full>
<public>1</public>
<stream-name>My audio stream</stream-name>
<stream-description>My audio description</stream-description>
<stream-url>http://some.place.com</stream-url>
<genre>classical</genre>
<bitrate>64</bitrate>
<type>application/ogg</type>
<subtype>vorbis</subtype>
<hidden>1</hidden>
<burst-size>65536</burst-size>
<mp3-metadata-interval>4096</mp3-metadata-interval>
<authentication type="htpasswd">
<option name="filename" value="myauth"/>
<option name="allow_duplicate_users" value="0"/>
</authentication>
<on-connect>/home/icecast/bin/source-start</on-connect>
<on-disconnect>/home/icecast/bin/source-end</on-disconnect>
</mount>

And I have no idea what to do with it

You could try this setting:

and set it to a very big value. I’m not sure whether this works though.

Another way would be transcoding the stream to shoutcast. You loose the metadata this way as well.

I have to add this into the default config file ? I dont understand…

Yeah try that but rather use something like

4096000

The documentation doesn’t say much about it.

I don’t know much (anything) about icecast, but I do know a lot about Google and this was the first result when I googled how to change the config file in icecast.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/icecast/basic-config/

It says nothing about the metadata-stuff. This is the official documentation page of the latest Icecast-version:

http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.2/icecast2_config_file.html

<mount>
<mount-name>/example-complex.ogg</mount-name>
<username>othersource</username>
<password>hackmemore</password>
<max-listeners>1</max-listeners>
<max-listener-duration>3600</max-listener-duration>
<dump-file>/tmp/dump-example1.ogg</dump-file>
<intro>/intro.ogg</intro>
<fallback-mount>/example2.ogg</fallback-mount>
<fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
<fallback-when-full>1</fallback-when-full>
<charset>ISO8859-1</charset>
<public>1</public>
<stream-name>My audio stream</stream-name>
<stream-description>My audio description</stream-description>
<stream-url>http://some.place.com</stream-url>
<genre>classical</genre>
<bitrate>64</bitrate>
<type>application/ogg</type>
<subtype>vorbis</subtype>
<hidden>1</hidden>
<burst-size>65536</burst-size>
<mp3-metadata-interval>4096</mp3-metadata-interval>
<authentication type="htpasswd">
<option name="filename" value="myauth"/>
<option name="allow_duplicate_users" value="0"/>
</authentication>
<on-connect>/home/icecast/bin/source-start</on-connect>
<on-disconnect>/home/icecast/bin/source-end</on-disconnect>
</mount>

Ok.. so when I add this.. nothing happens..
Then I see that there are some lines that I think I need to fill out with the info that I wrote in the traktor broadcast settings

<mount-name>/example-complex.ogg</mount-name>

In Traktor I wrote live.ogg … so I change this to

<mount-name>/live.ogg</mount-name> - Nothing happends again

I changed it to

<mount-name>live.ogg</mount-name> - without “/”

Then I saw that the defaul number of max listeners is 1 ?? Wtf

<max-listeners>1</max-listeners>

also I changed these lines to be the same like my Traktor

<stream-name>My audio stream</stream-name>
<stream-description>My audio description</stream-description>
<stream-url>http://some.place.com</stream-url>
<genre>classical</genre>
<bitrate>64</bitrate>

and again NOTHING HAPPENDS :disappointed:

Also try http://mixlr.com/

great service

This connects to my Facebook.. and I dont want that.. I want to setup IceCast… its good program

EDIT: When the window with the audio devices appeared… and I choosed my audio card.. I started hearing my voice from the MIC >.<

^ What he said! ^

3rd that!

Where can i get that web link to share? using Ice-Cast and Traktor Pro on win7

my config file:

2 hackme hackme ...... .......

localhost

8001

1

./logs
./web
./admin



access.log
error.log
3

Connects to facebook, right, right…
I was gonna say something about that but, then the mental blocade kicks-in with this specific comic: xkcd: Duty Calls